on 2 November 2014
This is the first part of a four volume epic. The concept is mind blowing and Mr Williams guides us through the complex plot with skill. The character development is particularly good and your interest in them means that you read this way too fast, just to find out what happens to them.

I have two complaints and they relate more to Mr Williams' editors than to the man himself: The whole series is way too long. Many of the lands we visit along the way are frankly boring and we spend too long in them. Interestingly it is the virtual reality worlds that have this problem more than the real-life ones. Paul Jonas' experiences in a World War I simulation go on forever, for instance. My second complaint relates to the use of "who" and "whom". Surely there is someone in Orbit Books can search through the text and correct these.

But, aside from these quibbles, I highly recommend this - but make sure you buy all four, because you will not want to stop before the end!
on 21 April 2018
I’m not sure how to describe this: Heinlein, Caroll, Gibson, Mieville, Stephenson wrapped in Tad Williams. Is a start. But not all of it Otherland is fantastic and I can’t wait to see what comes next!
on 19 March 2016
I was so pleased to be able to get this book I read it years ago and love how all the different threads of the story are interwoven. I have subsequently purchased the rest of the set.
on 12 December 2017
Bought on Kindle to replace a long-lost hard copy. Forgotten how good this series is.
One person found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 20 December 2000
Although I am a big fantasy books fan, I usually avoid science fiction books, since a large percentage of them are just cyberpunk nonsense and very badly written and it is hard to get hold of a real masterpiece once you read the classic ones. Having read (and loved) the Williams fantasy books, I decided to give Otherland a try and never regretted it: the book stands among the (say 10) best I ever read (classic literature included).
Williams is really talented and the book is exceptionally well-written. The author takes great care to set up the characters and the background,while there are some great ideas in the book. Being a computer scientist, I am happy to say that this is one of the few books where even most of the wildest technology-related ideas manage not to sound silly and have an actual basis. Williams is perhaps a bit influenced by other SF books, but the result is a very original and gripping story that stands out from the usual SF stuff. Just one advice: be prepared that all four Otherland books should be considered as one book in four volumes, after finishing each one of them the story does not come to any kind of end, you must be ready to get the next one.
31 people found this helpful
on 26 April 2018
A masterfully imaginative, believable and varied work by an incredibly good writer. Highly recommended. The entire series is a joy.
on 19 September 2013
One of the best books I have ever read, second time around this time. I wish it was available on Kindle though as I would like to get the complete set asrunning out of space!
on 1 February 2013
Fantasy fiction, AT ITS BEST, drawn into the story from the first pages, hooked, and now moved onto the other books in the series, an ABSOLUTE MUST READ for many, go on, you know you want to
on 2 November 2008
Modern Fantasy, and I do classify this as Fantasy more than Science Fiction, is mostly, with some notable exceptions, truly appalling: derivative, badly plotted, dreadfully under-realised and under-developed characters. The list of such writers who should never have been allowed near a pen/typewriter/computer is huge and I will not elaborate here. However every so often Constant readers such as myself come across genuine gems among the dross. These modern Fantasy writers (let's not worry about Tolkein who invented the modern genre and is possibly more stolen from than any author in history by the afore-mentioned hacks) include George RR Martin, Robin Hobb, Lois MacMaster Bujold, Neil Gaiman and our current focus, Tad Williams.
Tad Williams' first major outing (Memory, Sorrow and Thorn) was well written and had some good ideas but was a bit sub-Tolkein for my taste. But this story (as the four books are a single story not a tetrology), constitutes one of the most original, ambitious and extraordinary pieces of storytelling it has been my pleasure to delight in over the past few years. I shall not try to summarize the plot or characters but I guarantee that there are characters here that you will not have met before and plot structures abound that will have you reeling and wondering how it was done. Astoundingly for a story this long, and for me this only applies to Lord of the Rings, The Gormenghast Books and The Song of Ice and Fire (so far) from the Fantasy genre, this cycle is also eminently re-readable and rewards repeated forays into its multiplicity of worlds.

If you enjoy quality Fantasy writing, this is definitely one to try - oh, and the little news clips at the start of each chapter had me laughing out loud.
5 people found this helpful