on 16 September 2012
First time I read this, I finished it in a week. At the time, that was a record for me (a record I kept until the Deathly Hallows came out which I finished in the space of about twenty hours). Unlike the previous book which was a 'run for your lives' adventure, this is a quest. We start off in Sheinar where Rand is just coming to terms with the fact he can channel and will go mad someday. In order to protect those he cares about, he estranges himself from them, a decision which will cause much friction throughout the novel. The story really starts when the legendary horn of Valere is stolen and an army of Sheinaran soldiers, along with Rand and his friends set out to hunt it down. The book suffers from a rather slow start, something that Jordan seems rather apt at doing. The hunt itself doesn't begin until chapter ten, a full quarter of the way through. The thing is, I don't really mind, Jordan is very good at setting the scene, and drawing the characters and where they are now that the previous adventure is over. It takes time, and for some, it may seem to be too much.

There are two notable things about this book. The first is the introduction of Tar Valon and Aes Sedai society. Unfortunately, nothing much happens here. Most of the narrative is devoted to how the culture operates and the customs and rituals they perform. This portion is probably the weakest part of the book. Doubly so because even the character moments aren't that interesting, and sometimes I even cringe at them (Egwene, Min and Elayne excitedly exclaiming, 'Let's be friends!' to each other just smacks of something out of My Little Pony). However, once they get whisked off to Toman Head, things get interesting. There they meet the other notable thing: The Seanchan. Aside from the forces of Darkness, this is the main enemy for most of the series and they are very well portrayed. And what they've done to women who can channel is a very novel, if horrific, idea.

But it is the ending that is the best. After plodding along at little faster than a snail, the last six to seven chapters pass by in a blur and I found it impossible to stop reading. It is an epic and exciting finale with so much happening.

All in all, this is a very good book, possibly better than its predecessor. Unfortunately, it suffers from a slow pace and a little clunky writing now and then, but it is nothing I can't get past.
on 7 June 2009
This is a great book. It's part of a facinating series. I am writing this review long after having read the book. I am totally lost up as to where I got in the Wheel of Time. Two things are putting me off continuing at the moment: 1. It's a long series (Wikipedia mentions 14 titles - of which 3 yet to be published) and throughout you start wondering whether it is ever going to end; 2. Having looked at how many more approximately I will have to read, I was shocked to find out that the author died in 2007 before finishing the series. In fairness, it appears that another author has been appointed to continue. I feel that this should be taken into consideration before investing in a long but enjoyable journey as the end might just not be there or pretty abrupt.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 September 2016
It took me a long time to get around to reading the Wheel of Time Books and I'm sorry that I waited so long
Well written, in great detail with characters I found myself drawn to.
I ripped through the Eye of the World, Book 1 in the series and then immediately began Book 2, now I'm about to embark on Book 3!
If you like well written fantasy this is definitely worth your while.
on 6 June 2009
after reading the first book i had to pick up the second. the storytelling is quite slow, but it builds the characters so strongly you are genuinely interested in finding out what happens to them next, not only with the general arc of the story, but with their personal lives too. Also this is really two books in one, the story and rand and co searching for the horn, and the story of nyneave and egwene and their aes sedai friends. They only really connect at the beggining and the end of the books.

There are some very exciting fantasy ideas in this book which has not relly been used before by other authors. The seancen damane, for instance, are interesting and exciting and adds a lot of flavour. The other great thing is that the world in whch the characters inhabit feels more real every time i pick up the book. the more i read the better it gets. The themes in the book, and the effects instances have on the characters really lets you sympathise with them.

The only downside i give to the story is that sometimes the action seems a little rushed, and the characters skip about all over the place. Also you do really need to read the books in order.

Well recommended any fantasy fan will like this.
on 6 December 2017
Good Read. I won't say more, I don't do spoilers.
on 3 September 2016
One of the greatest fantasy stories ever published. I have read and reread the complete cycle several times and I'm still not tired of the excitement in every one of the books. Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in this genre
on 14 February 2011
When I used to read through The Wheel of Time from start to finish I saw The Great Hunt as the book I had to read in order to get to The Dragon Reborn (which is my favourite book of the series). TGH always felt like the second book in a trilogy and stand up on it's own as well the one before or after it. It didn't have that feeling of discovering a brand new world like TEOTW did and didn't have a brilliant mix of plots converging on one place like TDR did. Yes, admittedly, both the Tear finale in TDR and the Falme finale in TGH had several different plot point converging on a single place but I feel Jordan did it better with TDR and can't help but compare TGH's finale to it, to TGH's cost.

I also thought that the blowing of Horn of Valere was a bit underwhelming. Yes, the meeting of Rand and Co and the Heroes of The Horn was a great moment and very well written but from that point on the Heroes are mentioned in passing and not given a POV to show them in their battle. A POV chapter from Mat or Perrin would have been brilliant to show us just how badass everyone called forth is, especially Artur Hawkwing. Since this is the only time so far we get to see these Heroes, it would have been nice to see more of them.

However, on subsequent read-through, I found myself appreciating this book a lot more. It was a lot of little things that did it. Hints throughout the Selene about her true identity were a very nice touch. Min's viewing are a great thing to see after you've read the entire series, allowing you to go 'that one's happened, so has that, that hasn't yet' as a little check list. Plus there are a lot of character moments that I missed the first time round that flesh out the main guys and girls (Nynaeve's realisation that she couldn't have Elayne put on the adam was nice, it showed the difference at that point between her and Moiraine, who I think would have still put the collar on Elayne if needbe).

Overall, while still not as good as TDR in my opinion, The Great Hunt is one of the books in the series that gets better with subsequent readthrough. Though the spelling errors on the Kindle version are annoying.
on 4 November 2016
The story picks up the pace a little after the first book, which felt a little slow. Ending seemed a little rushed and weak, but otherwise an engaging and enjoyable read.
on 14 May 2016
The story is slow in pace as the first book, which is welcome.

Disappointing to see that battles between sword-wielding opponents are not fleshed out in the slightest and only names of techniques are named in succession which lead to a brief culmination. If you liked the very much detailed battles in Witcher series, for example, then this book may seem a bit pale in comparison to you. Other than that, very solid storytelling and world-shaping.
on 5 December 2017
Bought as a present very much appreciated