VINE VOICEon 21 August 2014
Two other books by Roger Lancelyn Green (Tales of the Norsemen and King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table) are amongst my favourite from my childhood. I read them innumerable times, and they along with other books by members of The Inklings (Tolkien and CS Lewis) basically defined the archetype for those kinds of books which I now find myself drawn to.

I only pieced this all together relatively recently, however; searching online for editions of books I half-remembered. When I came across this copy of Robin Hood by RL Green I didn't hesitate to "add it to my basket" (and there are many more besides which I will be investigating). I am happy I have made these investigations. This is another classic which though written for children is no less enjoyable for adults. RL Green's works have a wonderful simplicity to them. They are the distillate of what a really good story should be. His attention to source material is also admirable, and within the introduction of this book he has provided a fascinating outline of the history of the legends of Robin Hood. I couldn't recommend this book and moreover this author more strongly.
Most readers have heard of or know about Robin Hood so I won't go into too much detail about the story, it is a well known classic, but I will review the way the book is presented.

The presentation makes this book stand out; it has a green fabric cover, gold lettering and a period picture of Robin and Marion on the front. It feels like a book should, very tactile, it smells like a book and being hard back it should with care, stand the test of time. Maybe even as a hand me down from one generation to another.

There are 24 separate stories of adventures, and they are illustrated by one picture every other chapter, so it is not really a visual book, rather it is one to be read.

The first publication of this Everyman Children's Classic was in 1956 so the English language style is more like the traditional story of the period it was written in; it appears not to have been changed into a more contemporary style.

`Come back to Sherwood with me, jolly Friar,' begged Robin `I have come hither to seek you, with a summons from the Lady Marion, whose confessor you were. Truly when you broke my head with your staff I guessed you were the man I sought.'

Friar Tuck speaking to Robin.

It is a classic; the presentation of the book is first class.
on 1 April 1998
I read this book when I was a kid, and I can't recommend it highly enough to parents and kids who are looking for classic high adventure. It's timeless, yet provides good role models for boys (Robin Hood was the original cool do-gooder) and for girls, since Roger Greene's Maid Marian is more than a match for Robin with sword and bow and arrow.
on 13 February 2007
This book is very good for a light read--it delves into the mystery and legend of Robin Hood in a manageable way.

The stories include when our hero Robin meets Little John, rescues his outlaws from the capture of the evil Sheriff of Nottingham, under the command of Prince John, and battles Guy of Gisborne.

The character of Marian is also well presented in this group of tales--she is not a wet character, and rivals Robin with both a sword and bow.

I have one negative about this book, which is the fact that it is written in Old English and is thus hard to understand.

However, this could also add to the authenticity of the tales and contributes to the overall effect.

In conclusion, this book is a wonderful read and is a great starting point for the legend that is Robin Hood.
on 21 January 2017
The book seems well made, a good paperback. The rest of my review is a bit more opinion based; I love this book, it contains many exciting tales of Robin Hood (surprising I know) and his merry men. Gripping from start to finish with truly moving moments throughout.
on 13 August 2013
I really enjoyed it .I always wanted a book about Robin Hood and this book was a really good choice. The adventures were really exiting and I could not put the book down.
Age 10
on 4 June 2013
I WOULD ADISE ENYONE WHO IS A FAN OF ROBIN HOOD TALES AND THE LEG TO READ THE BOOKS ALSO
on 21 September 2015
Very pleased with item . Arrived well packaged and undamaged . Thank you
on 24 May 2013
It's nice to have a well- structured novel to read to the kids with no gimmicks or post - modern twists/ a nod and a wint to the parent who is reading it. Robin Hood is a classic story beautifully written with each chapter topped with some verse from an obscure medieval poet. Illustrations fantastic too. Kids love it and it's a great intro to the relationship between story/ myth and history.
on 26 May 2016
Timely delivery and will buy in future.