Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Learn more

on 6 November 2017
I am delighted to have found this edition. Having always owned the Nonsense Book by Lear, illustrated by who else, but Lear, but having lost my old copy I wanted to replace it. Amazon have endless editions, all apparently illustrated by other people. WHY? Then, near the bottom of the list, this delightful Everyman Edition. Lear's incomparable drawings, beautifully bound in full linen it even has a silk ribbon book mark. What more can one want?
on 30 October 2017
Oh, but this is classic stuff. You've probably been forced to admire it as a child. That means it will all seem very familiar when you read it as an adult, ergo you'll regard it as classic too.

(ps That's how the system works eh.)
on 16 December 2011
This is a collection of old limericks where the first and last line are (mostly) the same rather than homonyms as we would expect today.

It was Kindle-ised by a group of volunteers, no doubt motivated by a desire to preserve these original works. From a historical point of view such endeavours always have merit and this, along with the problem-free formatting, is the reason for the 3 stars. Illustrations, which presumably accompanied the original text, have not been included which is a shame but understandable.

Don't read if you simply want to be entertained; chances are you won't be. Do read if you have an interest in this particular form of poetry.
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 January 2014
Whilst many of the limericks are dated here, there are still a few that will raise a chuckle. the style of limerick show their age slightly with the first and last lines being so much the same, but you have to remember that was the style.

A few formatting errors here and there - splits mid line, but that is just nit-picking. If you have an interest, curious as to what Edward Lear was about or want to be able to say you have read some of his nonsense, then it isn't going to cost you a penny to do so.
on 24 February 2014
Absolutely love this book of poems (nonsense ) :)

I love the old poems I used to read at school

Brings back so many memories

one of my digital downloads for my Kindle

Really simple to download and keep all your titles in one place

If you change your Reader or need to download them on another machine it is so easy

Just register your device in the settings and away you go

It just couldn't be simpler

Great books and lots of them are free to download as well

Highly recommend using Amazon for all your digital downloads
on 6 June 2012
Edward Lear's Book of Nonsense is great to dip into now and then but try reading more than a few There Was An Old Man limericks and you begin to feel queasy as if you have O.D'd on Syrup of Figs. It's not that Lear is anything but excellent; it is just that limericks are most efficacious taken in small doses. Also, he preferred to stick rigidly to the rules and use the first line, only slightly altered, as the last line too. As a poet myself, I can say I prefer to change up the last line to rhyme with first; for instance no. 92 could end with: Perhaps everyone went to hell.
As I got the book free when I doownloaded the Kindle app,however, I would definitely say it is good value!
on 2 September 2013
This consists of just Lear's limericks (the weakest part of his nonsense output, in my opinion), printed in Courier-style type (as on an old-fashioned typewriter) with none of Lear's endearing illustrations and none of the other songs, poems and stories that appear in better anthologies. Presumably the text is faithful to the original, but I can't believe there was ever a printed edition without pictures. Avoid.
on 3 August 2017
A rather short, fun book. It can teach advanced vocabulary- descriptive words mostly and the pronunciation of countries and places- to young children.
on 9 February 2017
A lovely production - and I was able to introduce a 10 year old girl to Edward Lear's amazing, humorous work which I loved as a child myself.She had never heard of him. It is a book I hope she will keep for ever and appreciate even more as she grows up. I wish I could have kept it myself instead of giving it away!
on 4 June 2013
Lear pioneered many of the jokes and humorous images which have been refined by later writers. We all need a bit of nonsense in our lives and I suspect people who don't like a bit of nonsense are the unluckiest people in the world :)
The Book of Nonsense
One Hundred Nonsense Pictures and Rhymes of Edward Lear (Illustrated)
Museum of Old Jokes