on 3 April 2018
If I could leave 0 stars I would. This book is a disgrace to the name Rudyard Kipling and such a bitter disappointment. The typeface is nasty, as is the layout, and there are typographical errors throughout the book as if no one proofread it. There are several pages of promotional rubbish about audiobooks for amazon shoved in the middle of the stories, on the back of the pages from the stories so they can't even be cut out of the book. The book is not illustrated, it's got random pictures put in at nonsensical places, unconnected to the story. There are a couple of original pictures from the book I remember but they are not even in the right story. It's a real shame as I was looking forward to owning a nice little copy "unabridged and illustrated" however this is not it.
on 8 December 2016
Well having purchased this on CD back in 2009 it is still a firm favourite "remenisce" in the car on journey's that we as adults can agree to listen to when woman's hour is making the trip harder (I jest but you know what I mean).

A marvellous set of stories that are brought to life beautifully whether you grew up with Johnny Morris (of Animal magic fame ..& beyond) or not.

Classic kipling which might help your child move in terms of author story & genre recognition to more advanced kipling offerings ;)
on 20 June 2015
The language in some of the stories is tedious. The plots are fine for kids actually and could work very well if only the language was revised. I am also quite disappointed in the quality of the illustrations in the Kindle edition. They are so minute and I could not manage to zoom in to them to get a closer look. They are quite integral to the content of the stories so I don't know why there seemed to be no attempt to address the picture quality issue before publishing the Kindle edition. Well I read from the beginning all the way to the story about how the first alphabet came about and the 8 year old had had enough of it. She finally said she hated the book. I then went and bought the Kindle edition of Charlotte's Web by E.B. White instead and it was much better received.
on 31 August 2017
poor edition of great stories...badly copied illustrations, which have turned murky, diffuse, vague, greyish smudgey, and lost their distinctive elegance...the stories are still fun, and this edition is good for sticky, jammy grandkids, who like to "colour in" ...but if you want to see kipling's art work, get another edition...
on 19 June 2013
These are great stories to read aloud (even to yourself!)

They are full of wonderfully luscious alliterative phrases, like, in the Elephant's Child: "on the banks of the great grey-green greasy Limpopo river", and, in the story of Armadillo and the Painted Jaguar: "'Son, son!' said his mother ever so many times, graciously waving her tail..."

This is an illustrated edition, but sadly the images haven't been saved large enough to enable you to zoom in, so some of the detail can't be seen.

The layout is good, but the content shows a lack of careful proof-reading. I started with the Armadillo story and stumbled over a bit of poor OCR that was so confusing I had to go online to find another copy to discover what the word should have been (this ed reads "I don't rib Painted Jaguar", where it should read "I don't like Painted Jaguar"). Hence, only 3 stars
on 22 April 2016
In my opinion his is one of the best book of stories ever for children from the age of five upwards. My personal favourite is 'How the elephant got his trunk" but my grandchildren are extremely fond of the sing-song of old Man Kangaroo. It might be a good idea to get children to see an armadillo before reading the armadillo story. Any one who has not been read the Just so Stories when young has had a deprived childhood.
on 23 July 2014
Ok so Rudyard Kipling is now deeply unfashionable, a product of the Raj and tainted with the unacceptable opinions of the past.

None of that is evident in these classic stories which are keenly observed and beautifully written. Most people will have heard of the cat that walked alone, but maybe fewer people will know of the butterfly that stamped or how the elephant got his trunk or the leopard his spots.

If you've never read these, you owe it to yourself, or your children, to try.
on 6 November 2015
My son is 4 and loves listening to this it helps to expand his vocabulary, helps him go to sleep and exposes him to some of the finest writing in the English language. A child's vocabulary is limited only by what it it is exposed to, most words to a child are no harder than any other, unless you say otherwise. We also lost one of the CDs so we are bying it twice.
on 15 September 2013
I bought this for my sister to read to her grandchildren just as she used to read it to me when I was a little girl. What I had failed to do was read the dimensions of this edition so I was shocked at how small it is and that it is, as a result, not really suitable for shared reading if everyone is to be able to see the pictures. My fault entirely of course. Nevertheless, it is beautiful with good quality paper and gold edges - a collector's edition indeed. I have bought her a larger one and this one will find its way into another stocking at Christmas - or maybe I will keep it for myself!!!!
on 12 July 2014
I have read the Just So Stories for the past 56 years after having the read to me by my parents and have always enjoyed them as did my own children. The only downside to this edition, and the reason I only gave 4 stars rather than 5, is the absence of the wonderful drawings that illuminate the stories in the paper edition. The cover illustration, from How the Rhinoceros got his skin gives an example of what is missing. Notwithstanding I would recommend this book to anyone.