1,463
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 29 November 2016
It pretty much goes without saying what a truly great novel 1984 is. Unfortunately, this particular Kindle version has been so badly edited that it is frustrating to read. I suspect this version was put together by someone scanning in hard copy and using some kind of OCR software. Whatever the method used, there was little or no editorial checking carried out, resulting in a host of errors. Terrible.
on 9 November 2016
Whilst the book is one of my favorites, the Kindle version is terrible. The formatting just doesn't work and sections of the book are either omitted or repeated with the turning of a page. Extremely disappointing and makes for an exasperating read.
on 25 April 2017
This particular version is littered with many typographical errors. Throughout the book the German word 'die' replaces it's English counterpart 'the' in innumerable places. There were several places where I thought I'd not understood what was written assuming it had been written in 'Newspeak' however, upon reflection it appears it was more likely to be from the number of typos.
The final section where they define the structure of 'Newspeak' there are several glaring errors where it ius explained that the suffix Jul is added to a word to make a word such as goodful, clearly the letter is f and not J, also the next page states MM can be added to a word to make a negative such as ungood clearly it's un and not MM.
Typos aside it was a very enjoyable book although I felt at times there was an assumption that the reader should know the background to something which hadn't necessarily been explained. It is can be quite interesting to look back on this book from our modern society where big brother exists but is a little subtler than the one of Orwell's mind. It's also hard to believe that it was written in 1949, some 35 years before the events of the book.
Orwell meant this book to be a warning, not a guide!
on 29 April 2017
Genuinely quite shocked by this book. It's one of those books I'd been meaning to read forever and I finally got around to doing it. I don't want to say too much as people reading this probably haven't read the book. Do it people. It is worth your time. I finished it days ago and I'm still shocked by its contents. This book is worth your time.
on 1 March 2017
Great book, it is worth the read however I did find the writing complex in places, as in I would have to read paragraphs a few times to get my head around it. Don't know how he transformed all of his complex ideas into this piece!!
on 16 April 2017
Another book by George Orwell that I read in a day.
I just could not put it down until I finished it, it had me totally engrossed in the story.
No wonder it is regarded as his best work!
on 21 April 2017
Why haven't I read this already? Feels so relatable to what I see and read in news. How we are advised to cover our computer cameras to avoid being watched. That technology such as TVs and voice control tech are constantly 'listening ' to us. Does make you think and that's not a bad thing for a novel to do.
on 26 April 2017
1984 by George Orwell arrived very quickly and well packed from a most reliable seller. The only reason I chose four stars rather than five is because the book itself is a bit depressing. It is also very amusing and witty. Just hope it never comes true because Animal Farm certainly did!!
on 20 February 2014
No other word for it, really. When I first read it I was unable to think about anything else for days, and every time I reread it I discover small details that had passed me by previously.

Winston's struggles against the Party and himself will, if you're honest with yourself, impact you deeply.
on 8 May 2017
Just buy it. If you haven't came across this by now, you must have been living up a tree in Jabrovia.