on 25 September 2015
Classic book which I enjoyed as a child and now I get to enjoy reading it to my daughter as a bedtime story. Thrilled that classics like these have had a modern update and are available on Kindle devices.

I have always enjoyed getting caught up in all of the scrapes which Tom gets himself into, and then out of, and always wishing that I had the chance to go back to my youth and enjoy it all over again.

All time classic, five stars without a doubt.
on 18 March 2014
What I loved about this novel was the warmth of Mark Twain's own humanity, as revealed in his testament of this socially dislocated, feisty little adventurer, Huck Finn. Yes, the context of his own world in a small community on the Mississippi where slavery was still legal, was fascinating. But Twain's sympathy for the boy who was appallingly abused by his own father comes through time and time again, as does his admiration for his inventive survivalism. Huck's changing relationship with Jim the runaway slave is one of the many jewels in the account. For sheer humour, the incident where Tom and Huck open up the hut in which Jim is imprisoned, only to lock it again to perform the job of springing Jim from captivity in accordance with Tom's high standards, according to the 'manual' that is, takes some beating. I was sorry when the book came to an end.
on 27 August 2017
The language in this book is a bit like an acquired taste. It is not an everyday-type language so will take a bit of getting used to.
My son starts Secondary School this Sept and this is one of the many books recommended. As young ppl do, he finds it somewhat boring but I encourage him to read it as it will be useful for literature etc.
on 22 May 2017
A masterpiece that any budding writer would do well to study. The story of a young, imaginative, and exuberant boy overflowing with mischief, energy, and charisma moves deftly from hysterically funny to poignant and moving in the build-up to the main event in which a child's flights of fancy unfolds into a thrilling, spine-tingling, life or death adventure. Children and adults alike will love this forever.
on 14 February 2015
I like this book and if you are already interested in buying it then go ahead, you will not regret it and it is a great price. Saying that it was written a long time ago and sometimes the way the narrative is (slang) can be hard to understand. It was written for children apparently, so it makes me feel a little dim when I'm looking up words on my phone. Anyway, i would tell myself to buy it if i could go back in time and you will love the cheeky ways of Tom and Huck. My first Mark Twain book, and I enjoy his writing style very much.
on 7 September 2014
Rolls along like the Great River carrying the reader on wild adventures. An exploration of a child's awakening consciousness of the racism of the South and the tensions between the society in which he has been brought up and his own moral sense. The last few chapters, where Tom Sawyer arrives, have been criticised for degenerating into farce. But what we get is Twain at his most inventive and fantastical, as Tom's overheated imagination plans Jim's escape. Delightful.
on 9 March 2012
This book brings back so many memories. I acted the part of Aunt Polly, in a musical of the same name, back in 1966!!! The words of the book begin just as the musical did, and I found myself shouting, and singing my way through the first chapters. I have been unable to read for a fortnight, but, I'm now fit, and ready to continue - but for old times sake, feel I must start at the beginning again. It brought home to me, now more mature!!! how things have not progressed in all the years, although we think we have. In some respects I almost dread carrying on reading, remembering how the book pans out. A nostalgic trip down memory lane.
on 4 June 2016
I absolutely loved this book, I found Huck to be an endearing rapscallion who you can't help but love. The satirical tone of the novel had me hooked and on more than one occasion I found myself laughing out loud at the goings on. Although, I also enjoy reading of Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry is definitely a character I can identify with and enjoyed every nonsensical twist and turn of his adventures. Read it in the manner of which it was intended, enjoy!
on 26 July 2014
I have never read Tom Sawyer so cant say whether this is true to the original and it is presented a little oddly but thiat doesnt spoil the narrative flow. All the characters soom to be there and it is a good read, I'm glad I downloaded it especially as it was free on my kindle. Although in the contents llists (yes there do seem to be more than one of them) it lists illustrations I have, so far, not come across any - maybe they are all at the end!
on 25 March 2018
Awful quality - it looks like it's been photocopied by someone in their lunch hour - the formatting is all over the place. Disgraceful, do not buy.