on 7 September 2013
Read this entire book in a day and helped me to narrow down my thinking for my dissertation. Good for people on any degree course as its aimed at dissertations in general. Very well written and easy to comprehend. Would definitely reccommend
on 11 February 2004
I have used this book constantly whilst thinking about my dissertation and when doing the write up. Very helpful, and very informative!
on 30 April 2002
This book has been a lifesaver! Half way through a dissertation I suddenly realised that I was drifting aimlessly. I knew that I should be doing something for the dissertation, but I wasn't sure what! This book gave me guidance and helped me to structure my dissertation plan when I needed it most. I would definitely recommend it to others!
0Comment| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 July 2009
Like most students, I would rather like a first class dissertation. I bought this book, not looking for answers, but at least looking for a good few tips. This book does offer some tips and advice, but none that might help you write up.
I am taking a science degree and found this book more geared toward the social sciences and giving some advice that would be better used in a GCSE revision book, such as how to use an apostrophe.

The first chapter poses a few questions, such as "Do you have the motivation?" and "Do you have the reading and writing skills?" Well yes, otherwise I wouldn't be at university. It does go on to give good advice, for example on interviewing techniques, although this is aimed at social sciences.

The book seems to say a lot without really saying anything at all. There is no advice on layouts or roughly how many words should be dedicated to each section as would be expected. Overall, a disappointment. No help at all for my subject.
on 11 September 2013
this book gives general advice on how to write or research that many students are already aware of.
this book is very based for people who have to conduct data gathering or interviewing people, not to recommend for people writing a Law dissertation.
on 4 June 2003
This book is ideal for when you are first thinking about your dissertation. Unfortunely I panic bought it when I was doing the writing up, so it was unable to provide me with information that I didnt already know at that point. I will definitely pass it on to someone going into their final year as it is a good starting point.
11 Comment| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 July 2009
This is a good book, it is well written, however it only truly helps those who are doing a Practical Masters Dissertation (constructed or explored).

This may help those undergrads doing degrees that include Labortatory experiments, Field experiemtns, Models, simulations, Surveys, Action Research, Observations, Evalutation, Developmentsal research.

For those whose degrees that make this impossible will find this book very confusing. For example those studying religious, mathematical, aesthic, economic, managerial, technical, political, and social studies. This book is not right for you

"Your Undergraduate Dissertation: The Essential Guide for Success (SAGE Study Skills Series) (Paperback)
by Nicholas Walliman" is far more superior and undoubtedly a must-have for all undergraduate dissertation writers.
33 Comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 April 2011
If you are an Undergraduate student like me and want to have a good, general do's and don'ts when doing your dissertation.

its a book that can be read very quicly, but it had most of the info I wanted and Needed, so I would definately recommend you to try this book!
on 10 July 2013
Bought this as i start my dissertation this year, only took an hour to read and wont be too hard to flick through and refer back to again and again during writing my dissertation. Explains everything well enough.
on 25 October 2009
Wanted a guide that was easy to follow. A practical, easy to read book, when time is precious. Shared with my group at university. Recommend buying. We need all the help in final year.