Customer reviews

2,262
Format: Audio CD|Change

This is a wonderful book, a real (and surprising) page turner. It is a diary or chronicle of the life of 15 year old Christopher John Francis Boone, who loves animals, puzzles, is amazingly good at maths…. and has ASD. Things pan out, we meet his neighbours and his parents, as Christopher strives to solve (he is also a fan of Sherlock Holmes, but not Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) the titular case, concerning the violent death of a neighbour’s dog. As the story unfolds, Christopher has to brave a much wider, hostile world, and confront his relationships with his mother and father. In this task he resembles another fictional teenager, Adrian Mole, struggling to come to terms with his life whilst being a part (even the cause) of his parents’ dysfunctional and mutually self-destructive relationship.
How Christopher succeeds in his quest, and achieves a happy(ish) ending, is the warmth at the heart of this book. Along the way we meet people who react to Christopher’s condition with a mixture of incredulity, hostility and not a little kindness. As an insight into the mind of someone with autism it seems very authentic, as a parable for coping with life – in that Christopher manages his condition in a logical and mathematically elegant way – and could teach his bickering, frustrated parents some essential coping strategies, it is a strangely compelling tale of everyman.
on 22 April 2017
I was not sure about this book. However I found it a excellent read and gives an insight to a teenager with Aspergers. I do not know much about this condition and I am sure it is not the same for all sufferers but I found it quite sad but humorous at the same time. As it is described as a children's book it may not be suitable due to the bad language. I have now passed it on to my daughter who will probably pass to her 11 year old daughter but I am sure she has heard all these words at school and on TV.
on 2 June 2016
A real page turner with parts that made me weep and parts that made me laugh. A must read
on 7 May 2017
This is of course a best seller and lives up to the description. It should be required reading at A-Level standard along with To Kill a Mockingbird and Poisonwood Bible as all three expand ones tolerance to various ways of thinking and being.
on 14 May 2017
Perhaps the most insightful and moving book I have ever read. Painstakingly researched and beautifully written it neither preaches or offers pat solutions/opinions. It lays a misunderstood issue wide open.
on 13 February 2014
In this story, we see life from Christopher’s point of view. We all have learning difficulties, or special needs, of one kind or another.
The author takes us on a journey that will make you redefine what is normal, what is special, and what parameters, society sets for everyone.
You will at times, feel sorry for Christopher, feel angry and frustrated, and sympathise with his condition.
The author uses very subtle and laugh out loud humour, to convey a very special message, through this book.
This book can be read by teenagers, and all adults, alike.
It is thoroughly entertaining; a story that will change the way you see things, and this story will remain with you, even after finishing the book.
Well done, Mark Haddon, for writing this book; I hope that we will see more from you, in the future...
on 19 March 2013
The curious incident of the dog in the night time is a moving story about a boy who suffers from Aspergers disease. This murder mystery is like no other and is a joy to read - if not sad at times. It is compelling and moving and helps us to understand what it is like to have Aspergers syndrome. This is one of a kind and a pleasant easy read for murder mystery fans. The character is easy to fall in love with and we are able to sympathise with him easily. It has helped me to understand the difficulties of Aspergers disease. A great read overall and I recommend it to everyone who loves reading.
on 27 March 2017
I'd recommend this book to people of all ages. Not only does it give insight to the mind boggling world people with Autism live in, its just a cracking good read. The story is engaging and entertaining and I enjoyed it so much.
on 25 March 2017
Everyone should read this book. It's a moving insight into the trials, tribulations and joys of having a brain that doesn't quite see things the way most of us do.
on 19 July 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed this book apart from one bit - the ending. For me, I feel that the end of the novel is hugely anticlimactic as it is built up and up, then it just stops. Apart from this it was really enlightening, seeing the world from an autistic point of view is extremely sobering and really puts the world into perspective.