on 7 August 2015
I read The Vault first but this is the first of the two. At least it resolved the mystery of the open drain cover which wasn't explained in The Vault. However I'm not sure how the car ended up in someone's garage in The Vault when it is in a different place at the end of this novel. It is readable but a bit weird and the characters are annoying, hence 3 stars.
on 9 September 2012
Shouldn't this have been a Barbara Vine rather than a Ruth Rendell ? It is more like a traditional BV.

Whatever ... I have gotten back into Ruth Rendell recently after a long hiatus and, Goodness me! this was good. Masterful plotting. Never a dull page. Fabulous characterisations.

I will now be searching out more that I haven't read and, maybe, revisiting ones that I did, many years ago.
on 29 October 2011
I haven't read a Ruth Rendell novel for a long time so as a returning reader I was totally enthralled with the skill of her writing. This book is a masterpiece of intrigue, with damaged people,twists and turns of events, intertwining lives with coincidence and fate. Descriptions that placed vivid images in my mind, thought processes that got into my head. I loved it. A wonderful read.
on 12 May 2014
A brilliant look at how insular people may feel. Very cleverly plotted, all the threads knitting perfectly together at the end. Highly recommended!
on 20 February 2014
I loved this Rendell from start to finish, and the lovely twist at the end. Another great book from a mistress of suspense.
on 1 January 2014
easy reading. pretty gruesome. good characters. definitely recommend for light relief. I was hooked into the story straight away. Enjoy.
on 8 July 2012
This is a very clever study of relationships even without the criminal angle. The story flows along with a number of unexpected twists.
on 16 November 2013
Always enjoy the reality of Ruth Rendell, the main character was damaged from birth and this moulded him as a very disturbed man drawn to beauty from poverty and neglect. The meeting of the two young damaged people was touching but inevitably would be calamatous. All the characters were real and I couldn't put it down.
on 26 February 2015
There is no better novelist. A consistently excellent writer.
on 27 December 2012
Ruth Rendall is usually good and I liked this book. I am amazed always about where she gets her ideas.