TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 October 2014
I purchased this book as a gift for a family member who likes to recycle whatever she can around the house and make neat little things out of it. I thought that this book may give her a few ideas and a little bit of inspiration. I had thought the book would be more about recycling everyday, small objects, but much of the book was about larger items - cabinets, bath racks, quilts etc. There were a few smaller projects recycling cans and old jars, but I would say the majority of the projects in this book require a sewing machine or power tools. Having said that, the book is very detailed with step by step instructions, lots of pictures and lots of detail. i think this book is ideal for someone who likes to recycle items from home or source items to upcycle. It is also ideal for those who do not have a lot of experience doing such things as there is so much detail.
on 25 September 2012
Recycled Home by Rebecca Proctor features 50 creative craft projects for the home, created using unwanted, salvaged or repurposed materials. The book covers a wide range of projects including hand painted towels, feature cushions, braided rag rugs and ragbag bunting. Some of these are made completely from upcycled materials, whilst others combine the use of new and old materials. A variety of crafts are covered including woodwork, paper crafts and of course sewing.

The book is organised into different sections that correspond with the different areas of your home, such as Sleeping and Bathing. I found some of the projects a little avant-garde for my style, but there is such a wide variety of projects featured in this book that there is bound to be a number of projects that appeal to most readers. Personally I love the Patchwork Tweed blanket, the Furoshiki Gift Bag (look out my sewing friends, this may well be how your Christmas pressies are wrapped) and I will be making the Mushroom rattle for a friend who's pregnant, well for the baby! :-)

This review also appears on The Sewing Directory
on 16 May 2013
I am quite enjoying this book but I would like it more if the printing style was better. It is a bit all over the place
on 15 October 2014
Written for USA market but ideas applicable to all western countries. Liked layout and ideas. One of the best books on Up-Cycling, in that the author actually understands what the word means. A mixture of arty and practical projects, so would appeal to a good cross-section of people. Good for use in a youth club or school for getting ideas. Try and get a second-hand version, as I don't think it's worth the full cover price.
on 14 November 2013
Today, you could probably find all of the ideas that are in the book, online. DIY projects and reusing materials and objects is something a lot of people are interested in and because of that it is really easy to find similar projects and ideas online and it's cheaper. But there is something quite satisfying in having a beautifully illustrated book about that kind of subject. For me it is part of the fun to have a book in front of me instead of a screen. It is a lot more enjoyable. Also, this book has some really good ideas.
on 23 August 2015
Very disappointing - to me the word 'salvaged' in the subtitle indicated larger scale projects not covered notebooks, scrap wood picture frames, napkins and papier mache bowls. Perhaps I should have found out a bit more about the book before purchasing it!
on 8 March 2015
Quite a quirky little book, but with great ideals to brighten your home for little outlay. My daughter showed me this book first, then I just had to have it to share with my craft group.