on 5 February 2012
As a lecturer in Fashion design and Pattern Cutting, I have collected many books over the years but this caught my eye as a possible for students starting pattern cutting and wanting a reference book to use at home.
When it arrived I thought I'd take a quick look at it and have a more in depth read later but it's such an "easy read" I ended up going from cover to cover in about an hour!!
I shall certainly be recommending it to students in the future as it complements our other book; - "Designing Patterns - A Fresh Approach to Pattern Cutting (Fashion & Design)", perfectly!! 5 out of 5!! :D
on 25 June 2017
Has some helpful tips on modifying patterns but the bodice block isn't great. Some of the lines are estimates rather than measurements they give you which if you want a fitted bodice isnt great. disappointed
on 19 May 2017
Excellent product!
on 13 February 2017
Good reference book
on 14 March 2012
Really like the look and style of the book, it's very modern and stylish. Definitely keeps up your motivation and not boring at all. Pictures are good and the basic principles are repeated/highlighted, so very clear in that sense.
There aren't any major things missing, fully satisfied with the book, however I'm not sure if all the small details are 100% correct, so sometimes a bit confusing, but nothing major. A very very good book for a beginner like myself because it's very visual (or for a professional as well I might assume). RECOMMEND.
on 5 June 2013
This is a good background book, for those at university or for those wanting to understand the fashion industry and the pattern cutters role. I really like this book for its direct explanations with clear images and the extra info included, such as the hang of the garments. If you are looking for a comprehensive pattern book to teach you everything about cutting patterns, then this comes somewhere between being detailed and an overview book. Its very good but I think it should sit alongside a book such as patetrnmaking in fashion. This book has great modern examples and shows how to dissect a design and translate it into a pattern. It shows the equipment used in the industry and talks about fitting. It is a really good book, but I'm not sure I could have learnt pattern cutting straight from this book, I feel its more a second book.
on 22 May 2012
I'm a student, and not even a fashion student - just somebody with an interest in making and designing clothes. Therefore, a book that is simple, and holds all the basics, was what I needed most. I was given this as a present, but would happily pay the money to buy it myself. Given it along with Pattern Magic 1, it has definitely helped me out by covering the basics which Pattern Magic expects you to know.

This book covers all the basics (as far as I know); making "blocks" (for bodice, skirt, trousers, dress), adapting it for your body and your designs, lots of interesting pictures of clothes, equipment and plenty of diagrams. It also has a quite interesting little section with the writer's designs, which are both interesting and relatively simple to make on your own.

Furthermore, being written by a man who teaches pattern cutting at London College of Fashion, I trust what is written even though I have not tried it all (and there may still be mistakes, particularly in measurements). It's also easy to get through, which I found surprising considering it is quite a technical book, and filled with technical diagrams and tables of measurements. I'd say it's suitable for everybody, from teenagers like me up to more seasoned sewers who want to make their own designs.
on 3 September 2012
I couldn't decided between this book and the women's metric pattern book. I found this interesting and informative, It includes information on how to move darts, about fastenings, and also has some pattern pieces for some more interesting garment construction. However if you are looking for a book with just a variety of simple pattern pieces which you can then develop i would recommend a metric pattern guide, although this book is good for learners and students and will accompany a metric pattern book well.
Exactly as advertised, it is possibly the most useful book I have regarding pattern making and cutting. It is very easy to understand, the graphics and explanations are excellent; I would say that this book is for people who already possess a good set of sewing skills, and is an excellent adjunct to the library of anyone wanting to expand their knowledge. I highly recommend it
on 28 December 2011
This is a great read, with clear drawings and photographs. It shows the place of pattern cutting in the fashion industry, explaining principles and limitations of the flat pattern draft method. Construction of basic blocks (bodice, skirt, sleeve, dress, and trousers) is described in detail, moving on to a chapter titled 'Creating Patterns and Toiles' where it's a bonus that an example shown is a 2009 Betty Jackson skirt - like getting a free pattern! Then 'Converting Blocks to Designs' explains dart manipulation, fullness, collars, openings, and converting a bodice to a jacket block. 'Inspirational Pattern Cutting' shows the development of six of the author's designs. Other topics covered are the tools needed and new pattern cutting technology.
This is a very stylish book with a very current look. It is not a comprehensive pattern drafting guide, but it is inspiring, and contains enough to get a beginner started, or a 'returner' experimenting with new concepts.
Sewing only for myself, I am clearly not the target audience for this book, which is written for fashion students. Home sewers should be aware that personal fitting is barely touched on, and commercial patterns for home sewing get no mention. I would still recommend it to anyone interested in pattern cutting.
22 Comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse