on 5 April 2011
Fig Taylor, the author of this fab book came to my university to talk to us about putting together a portfolio. Fig is an extremely inspiring and very straight talking woman, and I found her lecture so honest, inspiring and refreshing, I just had to buy the book, and it really hasn't disappointed.

I'm an illustration student, and I can already see how useful this book will be to me when I graduate, but equally I can see how it would be useful to existing practitioners who feel their portfolio needs a refresh, or they need some new ideas on how to promote themselves.

The book itself is extremely thorough, its not just about putting together an attractive looking portfolio, but also discusses in depth everything from the marketplace, creating a good portfolio, what kind of portfolio to use and making yourself known/ how to approach potential clients. There is also a resources section at the back with useful websites, annuals and competitions, advice and professional bodies, just to name a few!

Any graphic designers or illustrators in their second or third years, this book will be invaluable to you in helping you get up and running as soon as you graduate. Too often in art schools they teach you so much about how to be fantastic image makers, but little about portfolio skills and promoting yourself, so books like these really are invaluable.
on 28 September 2010
This book is brilliant, it is a great resource for students at university or college, wish it was out when I was there. It gives very useful hints and advice on how to set out your portfolio for the different areas of design. Would recommend it to anyone who is in this field, not just students but graduates too.
on 4 February 2011
I've found this book beautifully laid-out, extremely helpful and clear.

Admittedly, I am not entirely new to the creative industry but, have never had experience "promoting myself", as I normally collaborated with others - which always seems to happen organically. I read this book from front to back within one week. Very nicely written. The book provided some very helpful advice on marketing yourself to agencies/consultancies and some very helpful advice on what employers (and different types of employers within the design industry) are looking for in a portfolio. I can imagine this book is best for recent graduates - as it introduces them to the realities and necessity of networking and tactics for finding your first job or internship.
on 4 July 2011
A valuable and essential resource for students and professional illustrators who want to improve their understanding of how to create an effective portfolio.
on 6 March 2011
I bought this to get inspiration to make my personal portfolio of architecture, and I found it very good! good text examples and quality images. Lacks a certain how to do it yourself but still very inspiring.
on 31 January 2013
love it thanks awesome purchase and a complete bargain and these last words are just to meet the minimum requirement
on 16 January 2013
I was looking for a book on putting a Portfolio together and this would be the best I have seen by far. Read this and save money on doing a course. No matter what stage of your design career you are at - it's relevant!
on 28 February 2013
If you are looking to boost your portfolio, CV and presentation skills, this book is great. It is easy to read, well laid out and includes fantastic examples - a must for all students and professionals alike.
on 20 September 2014
Bought it, followed it, got hired.
on 5 March 2015