on 20 March 2014
This is a great book to give you an outline of the industry. As a 20 year fashion professional the only concern I would have for other readers is that this is a book geared more towards couture or small production ranges at the higher end of the market, not a more retail approach, or those looking to start with a limited budget. However it does give a great outline of what is needed to start and great to get an idea of the whole process.
on 4 March 2011
This guide gives you step by step instructions on how to set up your clothing label. Whether you intend on starting a small handmade business in your own home or a designer label with multiple employees it gives you all the practical and legal advice to get you thinking along the right lines. From a who's who in the supply chain to legalities on finding a studio or shop, insurance and how to interview new employees plus lots lots more. Plus the book explains the two main processes of selling: wholesale (to existing shops) or setting up your own shop. I like the way that the book assumes that like most label start ups, money is scarce and continually reminds you of how to not waste money.

Keep in mind that this a book printed in the UK so it gives advice for UK business structures and legalities. Nevertheless, even if you are setting up business abroad (which I am) it gives you a good map of the professional processes of the fashion industry in the entire northern hemisphere.

Thanks Mr. Meadows for an easy to read and, most importantly, unpretentious guide.
on 11 November 2014
Really helpful book for those who want to get into the industry but are not at a fashion school or design course.
The book is a step by step helpful guide to steering you in the right direction in the fashion world.
on 27 December 2010
This is a good book for any beginners who need an overview of what is needed to start a fashion label. It gives good business insight and makes everything clear and understandable.

However, this is definitely only a starting point and I would thoroughly recommend further reading on many of the subjects covered in the book.
on 7 January 2010
I had high hopes when I bought this book, but it is a very incomplete picture of the fashion business. It looks like it was put together from different sources, and lacks the necessary information that would help me build a fashion business. What are some of the pitfalls, and what do I need to be careful about? Who are the main industry insiders? What makes a fashion business succeed or not? These are some of the questions that the book fails to answer.

It is quite misleading because it is based on author's own experience. He fails to have done any theoretical and academic research on the topic. Therefore, I would say to take it with a grain of salt. It is simply a personal account, even if that.
22 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 September 2013
The book is amazingly helpful, it really takes you all the way to set up and create your fashion label. I, myself, am in this process and this was definably the best literature I found about the subject!
on 12 January 2010
I purchased this as a gift for my girlfriend who is very much into fashion.
I had a quick flick through it, and soon found myself reading a few chapters.
Being into business myself, this was good to see tips for an industry I personally wouldnt have considered entering.
Its great for beginners who dont know where to start (and find the internet takes forever to come up with decent results) - this book ties everything together nicely and, for someone like my girlfriend, can help teach her a lot about the 'business side' as opposed to the 'fashion designing side' - she now knows different types of businesses, difference between net and gross profit, revenue etc.
A good starting point that will help many on the way to starting their own fashion label!
on 8 January 2017
I'd suggest really reading this more than than 3 times so you can fully get it! Cos to be honest I'd rather have a book that deals with less case studies on more on research and interviews with existing up coming designers than brands. Overall great read fully recommend!
on 10 October 2014
Really interesting, helpful and insightful book into setting up and running your own business. Great reference book to come back to over and over again and has helpful tasks set out at different stages of the book to get you thinking. Goes through everything from money to branding to legal considerations. Highly recommend.
on 11 June 2009
The book is great, simple to read and informative - however it is geared towards the US in terms of legal requirements etc. and it doesn't have the equivalent information for other countires.

However - it provides a good general overview for people looking to joing the fashion business. For me, I have no experience or relevant studies in the industry and I found that is provided me with an excellent introduction and gave me direction on where to start.

It also has some great real life case studies which are an interesting read on how people have built sucessful fashion brands.