on 8 February 2012
I recently bought this book on the weight of other reviews here on Amazon and I have not been disappointed! This is fast becoming one of my favourite cookbooks (and I have a LOT of cookbooks). I use it at least once a week and everything I have tried so far has been successful and extremely tasty. If you love cooking pasta dishes, I cannot recommend this book enough.
on 20 May 2011
This is a brilliant book. It's all in the title - "Everything you need". If you like Italian food, this book is indispensible, although I would suggest buying a copy of "The I-Diet" (also by Gino) as well for recipes without pasta.

How to make pasta, recipes for sauces specifically for use with fresh or dried pasta, and a picture of Gino on the front. What more could you want?
on 15 December 2010
Not only are the recipes good but easy to follow and we have had fun trying a number - the recipes range from simple to exotic. There is also alot of other information relating to pasta - Good buy
on 9 November 2010
This book is not just a collection of pasta recipes given by Gino; he has also incorporated information about the nutritional benefits of eating carbs such as pasta that is written by Juliette Kellow who is a dietician. In this chapter it states that the notion that eating carbs like pasta are `fattening' is a myth but rather weight is piled on due to excess calories that are consumed.

In this book Gino gives his tips for cooking perfect pasta. Here below are his top ten tips and see if you like me have done things like add oil to boiling water for pasta, which is a no, no apparently;
1) make sure that you have enough water in the saucepan. You would need 4.5 litres of water to cook 500g of pasta
2) make sure that the water is always bollente (fast boiling) before you start cooking the pasta
3) for every 4.5 litres of water, you will need two heaped tablespoon of salt
4) never cook pasta with the lid on the saucepan
5) stir the pasta into the boiling water at least every two minutes during cooking
6) never any need to put oil into the boiling water before you cook the pasta
7) make sure that the pasta is always cooked al dente
8) remember that fresh pasta always cooks faster than dried varieties
9) when making pasta dough, make sure you do not over knead it, otherwise the dough will get warm and will be more
difficult to stretch
10) the most important rule of all - always make sure that the pasta is coated in the sauce and never just place the
sauce on top of the pasta

In addition to these tips, Gino encourages you to try making fresh homemade egg pasta dough, egg tagliatelle, and saffron pappardelle.

The pasta recipes in this book are divided into chapters such as fresh and filled pasta, dried pasta, baked and sweet pasta, like mamma used to make, pasta on the go and pasta for those with allergies (which are either free from egg, fish, nut, gluten, meat or dairy ).

I do like that fact that Gino has included a chapter of pasta recipes that caters for people who have allergies or intolerances to one or more types of food. For instance, my youngest has some food intolerances, which does make it a tad difficult when preparing meals or when going out to eat as we need to be careful that he does not eat anything that he is not supposed to. This chapter has helped me in planning what I can cook for the whole family without having to cook two separate dinners, or the little one feeling left out from what we eat.

At the same time there are a number of recipes in the other chapters in this book that people with intolerances or allergies can eat by slightly altering/tweaking/omitting some of the ingredients such as butter that can be replaced with pure soya spread, replacing egg pasta with durum wheat pasta.

This book does have a delightful collection of Italian pasta recipes that would inspire you to cook with the added assurance of making perfect pasta if you follow Gino's top 10 tips.

I however, have rated this book only four stars because I have other Italian books that I love cooking from i.e. Made in Italy by Giorgio Locatelli and Pasta by Theo Randell. If I did not have these books then this pasta book would have been given 5 stars.
on 4 February 2011
The receipes given by Gino are just like "my mum" used to make them (I am Italian living here for over 40 years - married to an English man)- I'll recomend this book to any one who would like to really learn how to cook Italian pasta -
on 3 May 2011
I absolutely adore Gino's Pasta book. If you're looking to buy a book how to cook pasta, it's suitable for beginners as well as more adventerous cooks. Don't hesitate, just get it as you won't regret this buy.
on 16 May 2011
This book is packed with different recipes, so many that it revives my jaded taste for pasta.
Well worth buying, the recipes are not complicated, and it has a lovely pictures of Gino all the way through, (worth buying just for that).I have cooked four of the recipes so far without any problems, and am still working my way through.
on 10 September 2013
The reciopes are excellent and show what is good about Italian cooking - start with good quality ingredients and keep the recipe simple without using a whole range of ingredients that add nothing to the overall result. The book is well written and readable. I caanot rate it five because it has some defects and I make some constructive criticism that I hope will be taken on board when a well deserved second edition is published. Gino's ten tipes for cooking pasta are most helpful and certainly work. However for a book about pasta, I would like to have seen more about the different types of pasta and their uses, this to me is of far more practical use than a dissertation on its nutritive value. It might also have been helpful to include more detailed information about Italian ingredients. My main criticisms are these. Firstly the indexing is very poor. The main text gives the Italian titles of a recipe, but these cannot be found in the very sparse index. Secondly there are excellent photograps in what is a most attractively presented and well written book. However, these photograps take priority over page numbers. One may need to pass six or more pages when looking for a page number. This coupled with poor indexing makes it a somehwat diffivult book to use, especially for the poorer sighted. With these reservationsm I recommend the book to any lover of Italian food. Sadly, I feel Gino has been let down by those who did the design work for him.
on 24 November 2011
My husband mentioned time we had new pasta book Looked them all up read reviews Decided on Gino's Pasta -like watching him on the television The book arrived well packed on opening was so excited by all the wonderful receipes Its a great read good selection of ingrediants Tonight trying Pasta E Fasul can recommend Linguine Avellines,Tagliatelle Primavera The information at the front of book regarding different pasta and what to serve and not to serve with them is excellant and the end of book for people with food intolerences is super
on 27 February 2013
Not a bad book but just expected it to be completely different, i thought it was going to put a lot more emphasis on fresh pasta recipes and whilst there is a section its not what i hoped for. Otherwise the books good, well illustrated, nice recepies