on 27 March 2017
I've just bought it based on another reviewer's comments and I feel like I've come home! Vic Brotherson's sense of style is utterly beautiful, it really takes my breath away. Her artist's eye is clearly at work, not just in the flower arrangements but in wider aspects such as the containers, accessories and settings in which the photos are taken. The book is a complete visual feast and the most inspiring one I've seen so far on floristry. I've also bought her Vintage Wedding Flowers book and it's equally stunning. Just looking at the photos is pure pleasure - I just wish I had the containers and flowers to achieve the same effects, but there are plenty of ideas that could possibly be adapted for those of us on a budget. I'm already starting to think more creatively about how I display flowers - I highly recommend this book for firing up enthusiasm and creativity. However, as other reviewers here have pointed out, there isn't much in the way of structured guidance as to how to achieve all these beautiful effects, merely some hints, tips and observations along the way.A short chapter at the end of the book covers some basic but still useful points. However, if, like me, you're a complete beginner at floristry, you'd definitely need another book to explain more fully the principles and techniques of floristry. Vic Brotherson claims not to be a 'trained' florist, but her background in working for Nikki Tibbles for 14 or so years is probably one of the best types of training you could get. If I have a criticism, it's that the author has been creating beautiful designs for many years and makes it all look so effortless - I think, though, she forgets that for many of us beginners, such artistry doesn't come naturally and more guidance in this book would have been helpful.
on 31 January 2013
This book not only looks good,'brilliant idea for the cover for someone who hates a tatty dust cover which soon tears no matter how careful you are this works beautifully' but is a really good read. I came upon this book in a well known book shop whilst looking for a different subject book, I couldn't put this down. I have ordered multiple copies now for family so this must be worth every penny. The photography is second to none bringing back memories of pressing wild flowers for instance as a child and Vic's love of flowers is very evident from a humble daffodil to an exotic lily and everything in between. It not only gives you ideas on which and what to do with vintage finds it gives you inspiration to go into the garden or to the flower shop and start right away making amazing arrangements. I am a flower arranger and make pedastal arrangements in my local Cathedral so I feel that this book is geared to all levels whether you already know the fundamentals about flower arramging or a novice. I will certainly be dipping in and out of this book over a quite cup of coffee. Many thanks for a book worth buying.
4 people found this helpful
on 2 April 2014
I leave this book out in my living room. It travels from sofa, to coffee table, bookshelf and back again. The photography of the lush arrangements is beautiful. Ms. Brotherson has an easy way of connecting you to the flowers. She provides a few key tips and tricks in arranging flowers that are presented in a relaxed way that make it feel achievable to recreate the images on the page. I come back to this book again and again to be inspired and encouraged.
on 13 February 2016
Something for every one in this book, really good pictures and good instructions, well laid out and could learn a lot about looking after flowers.
on 2 April 2018
This is a beautiful book - anyone with an interest in flowers will be bowled over. It's inspiring and glamorous - l love it.
on 16 December 2013
It's a Christmas present for my daughter but I did have a sneaky peep and it looks lovely, just what she'll love
on 4 December 2012
this is a truly beautiful book , the photographs are really gorgeous - a lovely coffee table book but also very inspiring, I can't wait to have a go myself !!
on 6 January 2013
I bought this a present for my partner's Mum - I loved the look of it and it could even get me flower-arranging. She seemed very pleased on Christmas Day.
on 13 March 2013
A lovely book full of ideas. The photos are inspiring and her story is interesting. I'm happy I found this.
on 16 October 2013
Bought this after borrowing a copy from a friend. Beautifully written and stacked with ideas for displaying flowers and creating visual feasts in the home.