Format: Hardcover|Change

on 18 February 2012
This is a very nice book with some great recipes and they are very very tasty. But I'm afraid it's downfall is in the editing, some of the recipe mention ingredients in the list but are never mentioned in the step by step recipe, if you're not careful you end up missing some key ingredients e.g. sugar! It seems there are some quite strange mistakes also e.g. words mixed in where they shouldn't be etc. Be careful to check you have all the ingredients included and you should be fine.
on 5 January 2011
A lovely book. A must for anyone who likes chocolate. Lots of new and a few classic Green and Black recipes are brought to life in the accompanying pictures. A wealth of chocolate treats that in themselves always seem to go down well with any audience.
on 2 November 2013
On first impressions, the book was much smaller than expected at little more than A5, rather than the chunky coffee table tome I had anticipated.

Still, the book is beautiful with great art design and pictures. Of course, it's the recipes that count and as I flicked through I realised every one was something I'd happily like to try and make - and eat! There were lots of things I hadn't heard of or seen recreated elsewhere.

The book is intended as a gift, and think it will be received well. I also intend to get a copy myself!
on 7 February 2015
We have just made the chocolate and cardamon muffin recipe. The instructions are a disaster. They fail to tell you add the sugar, or the chocolate or the cardamon . My son was trying to make them. luckily between us we spotted the problem, in time!!

not sure how they will turn out!
This book is delicious. It features chocolate recipes of all kinds and they all look pretty wonderful. The book features chocolate ice creams, cakes, biscuits, pies, puddings, sauces and lots more. This book would make a great gift for anyone that loves making chocolaty desserts.

The introductory text for each recipe was well done and it was nice to read about who each recipe had come form and how. The book has a great foodie tone.

I associate Green & Black's with 70 and 85% cocoa chocolates, as those are the only products of theirs that I have ever bought, and had kind of hoped that some of the recipes would be inspired by these delicious and very dark and slightly bitter products. I also dislike anything loaded with sugar for health reasons.

While there were a few recipes that had 70% chocolate in, most of them also had quite a bit of sugar. Most recipes also had dairy and wheat. Fair enough, this is a book on decadent deserts - not a book on healthy chocolate recipes!

I was really happy though to find three recipes in the book that were low in sugar but also dairy and wheat/grain free (or that at least could be made to be so with some minor alterations in the recipes). They are on pages 110, 111 and 188 if anyone else is interested. I'd love to see some recipes using coconut flour or coconut milk in the next version; though I realise this may not be majority view. You can make a lovely chocolate sauce by melting 85% chocolate into some coconut milk, for example, and it is perfect poured over fresh bananas or berries.

Three cheers for Green & Black's for making all their chocolate products Fair Trade by the end of 2011 too. I just can't buy the non-Fair Trade ones anymore after seeing a documentary of children being mistreated by the chocolate industry. Organic is a must as well as chocolate along with coffee is one of those items it is particularly important to get in an organic version if possible.

Jodi Bassett, HFME
on 14 April 2011
The book was bought as a present for a very accomplished cook, who was absolutely thrilled to bits with it. I haven't yet had the pleasure of sampling the recipes, but the presentation in the book is mouth wateringly good, positively droolable. Recommend it to anyone who hasn't got a weight problem!
on 23 February 2016
This is an OK cook book, however for cakes etc that need to go in the oven the temperatures and timings are not correct. I tried making the chocolate brownies today all was fine until after the 25 minutes, I took them out the oven and they had only cooked around the outside. I put them back in for 5 mins and still not cooked properly so back in for another 10 mins. 70 minutes of being in the oven and it still is not cooked very disappointed. However the strawberry and white chocolate cheesecake is really good.
on 3 December 2010
Brilliant book - beautifully illustrated with great photography and sensible recipes that just has you heading for the shops so you can make them. I suggest that you should trial a few before settling on one to make again for the family or a special occasion! A brilliant gift - unfortunately I had to buy my own as no one thought I might fancy it...but great value for money.
on 4 March 2013
This Green and Black's Ultimate recipe book is fantastic! Each recipe is laid out beautifully in this magnificent hardback edition. A must for any chocolate lover.
on 3 February 2012
This is a large collection of recipes from many well know chefs/kitchens, one submitted from each, like Gordon Ramsey, Jamie Oliver, the River Kitchen etc. Recipes range from chocolate pear tart to chocolate mousse but obviously they do all contain chocolate. There are some nice gluten free recipes too.
Some of my favorite recipes are in this book and whilst I've only baked four from this book so far they have all been easy to follow and worked well. Also there is some G&B history and some bonus ones that got away recipes. For example they have some recipes for making your own chocolate bars, recipes that they would have made but are either too expensive or have no shelf life etc. You are encourage to use G&B chocolate in each recipe of course but I've used other brands and they work just fine. Any high cocoa chocolate will work.
There are not enough pictures in the book, just written recipes.