Customer reviews

Seriously Good! Gluten-free Baking: In Association with Coeliac UK
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 9 November 2010
As it is near Christmas i thought the best test for this book would be the rich fruit Christmas cake,the recipe works,the cake came out of the oven nicely risen and the top nice an level.i am looking forward to tasting it on Christmas day.

Over the holiday i will be working my way through this wonderful book knowing the recipes are tried an tested so my baking days will be successful and be able too enjoy GLUTEN- FREE home cooked baking.

This book is a must for coeliacs
on 30 July 2011
The book gave a few more ideas for cakes, would like to have seen some whole meal recipes but on the whole anyone who is taking an interest in glutin -free food is helpful.
on 29 August 2011
I found this book very good. There is many different recipes to try so there is alot of variety. From bread, muffins to sponge cake and biscuits. I would recommend this book.
on 13 February 2011
This is a great book. I've made 4 or 5 of the recipes so far and they have all worked perfectly. I made a couple of of cakes for a tea party and the same cakes using gluten recipes and my friends actually preferred the of ones! The cakes are very moist. I would have given it 5stars if the book had had a few more bread recipes, there are lots of of breads available to buy but as they are so expensive I often make my own and am always looking out for new recipes.
on 29 January 2011
What a great cooking book for Coeliac's. When my sister was told 2 years ago she had Coeliac, we didn't have a clue what she was going to be able to eat. Phil Victery published his first book on cooking for Coeliac which i brought for my sister and that was also a book that gave us a great choice. Gluten-free Baking is so good my sister cooks such lovely food she should open a Cafe for Coeliac's.
VINE VOICEon 9 November 2010
I have just had two massive slices of Vickery's Apple Pudding Cake with Cider Topping from page 86 of this wonderful book. Being gluten intolerant can be a chore but finally I have recipes for much missed beloved goodies such as flatbread, yorkshire pudding and the five recipes I've tried so far really do work and are wonderful.

I only have two issues. Firstly, Vickery uses a food processor a lot, which is fine for those who can afford it but for those with only at most an electric mixer had mixing alternatives would help.

Secondly I had real problems making the wonderful tasting Bonfire Parkin with Ginger Icing because I, like many that I know of, am intolerant to the gluten in oats, for me it is my most pernicious ingredient. I tried using quinoa to replace the oatmeal but it didn't really work, I may try polenta next time. The book is called 'gluten free' so it should contain only gluten free ingredients.

But in general, this book is great, a little effort and you don't need to rely on the supermarket and health food shop gluten free aisles.
33 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 January 2011
I have just tried baking my first recipe from this book; have been so excited to finally find a book that makes sweet recipes with decent flour mixes instead of 'gluten-free flour' (horrible stuff). HOWEVER, my first recipe was nearly a disaster.

There appears to be an error in both the ingredients and the instructions. The receipe is on page 47, Hazelnut Cookies. I followed the instructions to the letter and wondered why I ended up with a dry mixture that I couldn't possibly 'spoon out' as instructed. I added more butter. Still no luck. I added xanthum gum, in desperation. Still no luck. I added water. A gluey mess. Husband looked at recipe and announced it was clearly missing an ingredient - probably egg. Added an egg - voila! Finally had a mixture that resembled biscuit dough. God knows what I've done to it with my additions before I added the egg, but hopefully it has been saved (yet to try it; still baking).

VERY disappointed! Tried to contact Phil Vickery directly through the internet - no luck. He should probably be aware of this.....Am somewhat nervous that there will be more errors within........Hopefully not, cos the recipes look brilliant.
22 Comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 October 2011
This is a good cook book for gluten free cookers out there. I'm constantly looking for new ideas and would also recommend
on 17 December 2012
Just another cook book. Instruction not that clear and cooking time is out on many of the cooking tips. Poor value for money and not that good. I won't recommend this book. There are better gluten free cook books out their and cheeper.
Gorden Percy (Greenock) 17/12/2012
on 10 February 2011
This book was bought as a present for my mother who had just discovered she was gluten intolerant. She loved it and has enjoyed using the recipes. It has great basic information explaining what it means to be gluten intolerent and also interesting ideas for substitute ingedients to use in cooking. I would definitely recommend this book!