on 10 August 2017
Bought this book as a gift but liked the look of it so much I ordered a copy for myself. I was so glad I did! This book is beautifully written and very informative, so many things I never knew you could eat! I've found this book hard to put down and have been out on a couple of foraging expeditions already which my 5 year old son enjoys too. Looking forward to seeing what we find on our next walk.
on 2 October 2011
This book is brilliant.It's the kind of book that I know I will refer to for many years to come. I've picked blackberries and sloes but not much else as I am not too sure what is safe to eat. Now that I have this book I will be much more confident as to what is safe to pick and eat.

She starts with advising you as to what to take with you and then a few words of caution. There then follows a section on where and what you might find to forage, followed by some very good advice as to whether you need permission to forage and where to go to get it. There are then a few case studies whch are very interesting.

Then comes the plant directory - the leaf descriptions are particularly useful.

There are a few recipes which are followed by an alphabetical list of plants. There is a photo to enable you to recognise the plants and a written description as well. Next is what to eat and how to grow.

I feel I must mention the photographer Simon Wheeler who has done a grand job.

This is an essential book for people who want to get started on foraging
on 5 October 2011
The book is very nice, inspiring and the recipes are good. However, I found that one photo per plant, frequently more artistic then actually showing the plant, is not enough to enable recognition.
on 7 November 2011
I really like the book - of course, I do have a garden-related girl-crush on Miss Fowler ;)
If you are looking for a comprehensive field guide this is probably not your best bet. However, it is perfect for an urban environment as it particularly looks at plants commonly found in parks, abandoned city lots and alike. On top of plant descriptions the book offers basic instructions to processing ones bounty such as jam making. I found the case studies about edible landscapes to be interesting, too. Love the look, the photos are very pretty.
on 17 October 2011
I was rather expecting a more informative book from Alys Fowler, a lot of the content I already knew. Would have liked more detailed info, so overall I was disappointed with the book
on 20 October 2011
This is a fascinating book full of excellent helpful identification pictures for all the foods you might collect in the woods or hedgerows around you. I discovered I was throwing edible weeds on the compost heap! The receipes look good too though I haven't tried them yet
on 7 January 2014
This would would be great if only all the hedgerows were in situ and farmers would allow you on their land . Nice idea though.
on 30 December 2014
I am happy to add that book to my "food for free" collection. It contains a good list of plants with great pictures and descriptives, alongside with some recipes. The style is fresh and bubbly, this women is all about simplicity really :) highly recommend.

Only I felt slightly confused at the begin ing as I felt the informations were a bit random and not really organised but the half end of the book made forget about it.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 May 2014
This book seems to be focused on USA and south of England experience and not on the British Isles as I had expected.
on 11 January 2013
Bought for ideas on new foods and ways to use them. Would be much better for people in urban areas.