on 22 June 2010
Ghillie James says this this beautifully photographed and produced book is aimed at novices, but there is plenty in here for the experienced cook as well. Interspersed with comments about where the recipes came from and who inspired her, the book has a confident, breezy style. How do you make a whole book about preserves come alive? - Well, there are recipes for temptingly alcoholic drinks, imaginative suggestions about uses for the jellies and relishes and plenty of hints about avoiding pitfalls. She also dispels the myth that you need a mass of expensive and bulky equipment.
on 28 June 2010
Not only does this book Look quite beautiful, it would grace any coffee table, the recipes inside Taste delicious. Have just made the orange spiked strawberry jam- its in a league of its own, quite the best jam I have ever made.Now for the Muddled berry jam and then the Ice cream! The perfect gift for any cooking enthusiast, whatever their age.
on 28 June 2010
For anyone who has a garden this is a must for the kitchen. I particularly like the beetroot suggestions ! As Ghillie James says ,so many gardeners grow ENORMOUS amounts of beetroot. I am now hoping my gardening husband will be spurred into making chutney too! I intend giving this book to all my 3 daughters.I just know they will love it.
on 12 June 2011
I'm new at preserving but am very adept at cooking and home-made wines. I bought this on the strength of the reviews here. The pictures are really beautiful and very plentiful but I must admit, some of the recipes I wasn't quite expecting, as in, prawn, aubergine and pepper curry, sausage and chutney picnic puffs and queen of them all, sausages, mash and onion gravy. I don't really see a place for these in a preserving book but that's just my novice's opinion. I definitely wouldn't recommend this book to anyone who's a novice like me I'm sorry, unless you're looking for pretty pictures. I needed far more in-depth information on preserves, pickes and chutneys, so, disappointingly, I'll be seeking out a second-hand Let's Preserve It, as I think that one seems to have the information that I need. Well, I hope so anyway.
on 6 September 2011
I have just bought this marvellous book as a solution to the glut of cookers we have just accumulated from our old Bramley in the garden! I was also after some unusual recipes along with some more special recipes to make to give as Christmas gifts. I am absolutely delighted with this book, it delivers on so many levels, that I think it has gone straight into my current top 10 cookery books! I havn't got the book in front of me but going by memory, some of the recipes that jumped out at me were: Apple & Mint jelly, Cranberry & Cointreau Relish, Gardeners Windfall Chutney (unsurprisingly most of the recipes that caught my eye are all rather appley) and Sweet Chilli Curry Paste. What I love is that at the top of the ingredients list it very clearly states how long the recipes keep for, and if they need to be kept in the fridge, so you immediately know before you start whether its one to make for keeping or not (I am happy to say the majority of recipes seem to be long keepers). Also clearly stated is how much the recipes makes, so you also know how many jars to find. The pictures are stunning, the methods are very clear, and each recipe starts with a bit of a preamble about how the recipe came about or what to use it for (always a good thing for me) and then (and this is the genius bit as far as I'm concerned) for a lot of the recipes Ghillie goes on to give a recipe using the jam/chutney you have just made. I cannot wait for the festive season to come around so I can make the Camembert and Filo Poppy Bites using the Cranberry and Cointreau Relish. Top marks from me. Don't take any notice of the bad reviews, I don't see how any enthusiastic cook/gardener could be anything but thrilled with this book. Buy it now.
on 22 June 2010
This is a great addition to the kitchen bookshelf & one which will be used through the year, not just in Jam, Jelly & Relish: Simple preserves, pickles & chutneys & creative ways to cook with themthe autumn. And it is such an attractive book, not just stunning photos but a beautiful presention of text. A rare balance of a bit of nostalgia & no nonsence time saving modern approach & Ghillie James's style of writing invites you to join in.
on 22 June 2010
I've only had this book for about a week but have managed to work my way through quite a few of the recipes already, simply because they are so easy and practical - which I must admit with jam-making, I wasn't expecting. The curried rhubarb chutney is so good, and I made my first batch of plum and blueberry jam on the weekend - really quick and easy, but absolutely yum and I now have a few jars squirreled away to give to friends as presents. If you've never really tried making jam or chutneys etc. then I would definitely recommend this book. Ghillie has a very natural style and a 'hand holding' kind of approach which made me feel very relaxed in tackling the recipes. Summer in a jar, love it!
on 22 June 2010
This is a must for anyone growing their own veg and fruit. I am new to it and it has given me so many ideas of what to do with the produce. Preserving has always petrified me and this book simplifies it. I love the fact that it gives ideas of what to do with all the jars once they are made. Not only are they great recipies, the book is a joy to read with great pictures.
on 22 June 2010
This book is an absolute must have as gives one the confidence to try lots of recipes that I have always felt were too complicated! When are you releasing your next book as this one has seriously inspired me! I've always wanted help with recipes to put in the freezer - any ideas and top tips to help with that would be much appreciated!
on 23 June 2010
A perfectly Lovely book, made me dash out and buy muslin to strain my strawberries. The book tells you how long the preserve will last, so no more ' chucking out to be sure.' Not only can you make the chutney but a lovely recipe to use with it. This is now my standby birthday and christmas book for all the would be perfect housewives!