Cupcakes from the Primrose Bakery
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 16 February 2011
Love this book and its recipes. One of the few great books. There chocolate cupcakes are to die for, soo fluffy... absolutly love this book, an absolute must for anyone who loves to bake.
on 25 July 2010
I absolutely love this book, I've made lots of the cupcakes out of this book. They are delicious and the recipes easy to follow. My work collegues, friends and family love the results that I produce from this book.
on 5 March 2011
I love this book. The recipes for cupcakes are delicious and easy to follow. Lots of pictures which I find really helpful and plenty of useful advice.

I went "beyond cupcakes" and tried the Lemon Layer Cake for a friend's party. It is absolutely delicious. Light and really lemony and it looked really professional.

I would definitely recommend this book.

Celine O'Toole
on 9 July 2010
I absolutely love this book, particularly the photo's which are amazing and the recipes are very easy to follow as well as delicious!! I've made about 25% of the recipes so far and they have all been a success!
on 3 September 2010
Really great book and the cakes look delicious! Couldn't wait to try out the recipes as soon as I got it and they turned out great, didn't look quite like the picture but I'm just an amateur baker.
on 10 May 2011
I saw this book at a friend's and immediately fell in love with the look of the recipes. However, as many of the other reviewers have said, the recipes (with the odd exception) are disappointing. I have been baking basic vanilla cupcakes since I was a child so the alarm bells immediately started ringing when I first tried the recipes for the plainer cupcakes as the proportions of butter ot flour is so different from what I have always used and lo and behold, the result was not good. Lovely to look at, but on the whole a letdown with the exception of the peanut butter and chocolate versions. I find it hard to believe they can sell these in their shops and get away with such a dry cake, plus that celebs like Jude Law and Nigella Lawson are such fans! By the way, I recently tried out some recipes from the Hummingbird Bakery book and they turned out much better.
on 27 August 2010
There are a lot of very good reviews about this book. And, I think I understand why. This book looks beautiful - the pictures are great and so are the ideas. In fact my three stars are given purely on the basis of the pictures and ideas. This books inspires one to cook and for this reason it deserves three stars.

However, it is not clear that many of the reviewers of this books have actually tried the recipes. I think many may have spent far too long gazing at cupcake pictures; or perhaps they have tried the cakes but then due to their prettiness have left them on the side for people to admire.

But, in truth whilst prettiness is a virtue in a cupcake, the eating is far more important and these recipes fall short of the mark. A couple of reviewers have commented that their vanilla cupcakes turned out stodgy despite following the recipe to the letter. I have to agree with this verdict - stodgy, stodgy, and stodgy. In truth a victoria sponge always has the potential to turn out stodgy due to the need to get so much air in the cake. However, a cupcake has such a small surface area you should be able to bung all the ingredients together and hey presto - wonderful product. But, as some reviews have rightly pointed out, this recipe was very fiddly - whisking, whisking and more whisking (for a stodgy end product!). The reason for the stodge was not the whisking and folding - it's not going to have any benefit for a cup-cake, but at the same neither is it going to do it any hard (other than by making us budding bakers feel like we've been down the gym for an hour too long). No, the problem with this recipe is the amount of milk being used. Why does the cupcake need milk??? Trust me, if you want nice cupcakes milk is not needed.

A number of people have already commented on the icing. Well even I wasn't going to foolishly follow the instructions here and the buttericing I tried turned out lovely (I think 300grams of Icing Sugar worked a bit better than the crazy 500grams they are suggesting).

By the way the Chocolate cupcakes turned out fine (rather like a soufle). But I had it with the caramel icing. Cupcakes were nice and moist, but the icing was far too sweet (I think I may have naively followed the recipe again).
on 22 February 2010
Great book, it is true that all the recepies use a lot of sugar but I have reduced the amount in some of them and the result has been great, I baked the chocolate cake and it was super delicious!!.
on 5 July 2010
The quantities of the ingredients of the cake's recipes don't fit very good with the baking pan sizes, and the specified baking times are too short, but the cakes are good and the book has great photos.
on 16 November 2009
I absolutely love this book. We made the most amazing cup-cakes for my daughter's 13th birthday. They tasted lovely and everyone was very impressed. I can only recommend this book to anyone who likes baking.