on 21 December 2017
If you check, yes this is the same as another review I wrote, because teh same critcism applies:-

Mostly they dodge the issue and are just recipes with ingredients that would be gluten free anyway. And they tend to focus on fancy foods - not everyday foods.

What I want, and I expect a lot of folk do, is how to re-create those favoured gluten filled meals with gluten free alternatives - steak pies, yorkshire puds, lasagna, stuffing, fish & chips, bread - the list goes on.

If you like fancy food and cooking programmes, you will probably be happy with this, but for day to day grub, it just doesn't fit the bill.

Lots of nice deserts - but that isn't going to create a balanced diet.

He does another book, and you wonder sometimes if titles mean anything, but the "everyday cooking" by Phil is much more what I was looking for.
on 4 August 2017
Yes had looked at a friends so I New what I wanted very helpfull
on 2 August 2017
Lovely easy to follow recipes, every recipe I've tried so far has been perfect
on 9 March 2017
Excellent x
on 17 November 2016
It's ok, my daughter is 5 & doctors have just diagnosed coeliac & dermatitis herpetiformis. She's such a classic eater chips, lasagne, cake, cookies, pasta, fish fingers, chicken nuggets. This book was to help give me ideas as she's currently refusing to eat as gluten free food has a different texture. The book is alright, chapter 1 is on baby food!!! I found that strange as its puréed fruit & veg- hardly an issue re gluten. Chapter 2 is Toddler food with things like aubergine with pumpkin & tomatoes, lamb with quinoa. He also has chapters on everyday meals, cooking on their own, lunchbox & party food. Nice recipes such as Sausage,bean & potatoes casserole. Chilli, chicken fajitas, lasagne, egg fried rice, chicken dippers, chocolate rock cakes, banana buns all look worth trying. But then he has sweet potatoe brownies, grilled salmon, chicken ice burg parcels, plantain chips, soft cheese toastie which she wont touch. It is a mixed book but not as many real young children friendly meals. I was hoping for pizza, cakes, pastry for bake well tarts etc.
on 14 December 2014
When my 2 year old son was diagnosed with Coeliac disease recently i despaired. Would I ever be able to bake cookies with him again? More importantly would I be able to make his birthday cakes? My thoughtful sister in law bought me this cookbook and it arrived the day after we had told them (brilliant delivery from amazon) and I have not looked back. I already cooked from scratch but the recipes in here added to my arsenal. More importantly I could bake with my son AND the results are very tasty, very tasty indeed. Would highly recommend this book for anyone who has coeliac or has to care for someone who has it.
on 27 February 2015
**Reason for purchase**
Im not actually coeliac as I can eat small amounts of gluten and wheat without any problems.. the main factor being small amounts . I had other books which were designed more like a paperback book so it wasn't very easy to follow and it didn't have any pictures.

**Degree of information**
The book contained an introduction with information about coeliac disease. Chances are if you are coeliac there will be no new information . It was informative enough without being too long. If anyone reading this review doesn't know what being coeliac is it is a lifelong autoimmune disease affecting the gut and other parts of the body.
I liked how it had a summary of symptoms of the disease as well as foods without and a list of foods that contain wheat or gluten.

**How easy was it to read**
The book is laid out in easy to read sections
Breakfasts, smoothies and drinks
snacks and quick food
outdoors
salads,dressings and quick fixes
parties and entertaining
vegetarian
cakes ,pastries ,biscuits and desserts

The book also had summary boxes at the beginning of each recipe with how many it served,prep time and cooking time. I think this is great being able to see at a glance

**How interesting was the book/how useful**
I felt the book contained plenty of recipes . The ones I have tried have been easy to follow and none of them have asked for any weird ingredients. Nothing difficult to make so you wouldn't need to be an expert cook.
The results have also tasted good.
I liked the layout - font size etc is easy to follow whilst making the recipes. There wasn't photos for every recipe but I don't think they need it.

**Would you read again**
Yes . I do have other gluten free recipe books but this one is laid out nicer.

**Price and where to get**
I paid £1.80 from a charity shop. The rrp is £19.99 and on amazon it costs £13.59.
It is a bit high compared to other gluten free books but it is one of the best I have used
on 15 June 2009
I was diagnosed with Coeliacs a couple of years ago and my friends and family call me "special needs" so it is good to see that there are now more special needs books available and its even quite trendy to be gluten free!! I bought this book purely to make the scones and even though I am an awful cook they tasted pretty good! The recipes are simple to follow and dont have a list of ingredients as long as your arm like other celebrity chef books!
11 Comment| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 December 2009
I bought this book for my friend who has a severe gluten intolerance, it is full of interesting recipies she didn't think she could have anymore, she's thrilled with the book, and that makes me happy x
on 13 May 2009
Phil Vickery's new book has revolutionised my cooking as before a lot of gluten-free recipes and suggested foods were bland and repetative. It is packed full of delicious recipes and can't believe it's all gluten-free. A lot of friends are now buying it even if they aren't gluten intolerant - it helps cater for your guests' diets whilst still having scrumptious food!
0Comment| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse