on 17 November 2016
It's ok, my daughter is 5 & doctors have just diagnosed coeliac & dermatitis herpetiformis. She's such a classic eater chips, lasagne, cake, cookies, pasta, fish fingers, chicken nuggets. This book was to help give me ideas as she's currently refusing to eat as gluten free food has a different texture. The book is alright, chapter 1 is on baby food!!! I found that strange as its puréed fruit & veg- hardly an issue re gluten. Chapter 2 is Toddler food with things like aubergine with pumpkin & tomatoes, lamb with quinoa. He also has chapters on everyday meals, cooking on their own, lunchbox & party food. Nice recipes such as Sausage,bean & potatoes casserole. Chilli, chicken fajitas, lasagne, egg fried rice, chicken dippers, chocolate rock cakes, banana buns all look worth trying. But then he has sweet potatoe brownies, grilled salmon, chicken ice burg parcels, plantain chips, soft cheese toastie which she wont touch. It is a mixed book but not as many real young children friendly meals. I was hoping for pizza, cakes, pastry for bake well tarts etc.
on 21 December 2017
If you check, yes this is the same as another review I wrote, because teh same critcism applies:-

Mostly they dodge the issue and are just recipes with ingredients that would be gluten free anyway. And they tend to focus on fancy foods - not everyday foods.

What I want, and I expect a lot of folk do, is how to re-create those favoured gluten filled meals with gluten free alternatives - steak pies, yorkshire puds, lasagna, stuffing, fish & chips, bread - the list goes on.

If you like fancy food and cooking programmes, you will probably be happy with this, but for day to day grub, it just doesn't fit the bill.

Lots of nice deserts - but that isn't going to create a balanced diet.

He does another book, and you wonder sometimes if titles mean anything, but the "everyday cooking" by Phil is much more what I was looking for.
on 5 April 2012
After reading many of the positive reviews, I must say I was a little disappointed with this book. Whilst written in a straightforward way with clear instructions & good photos, the recipes themselves are not what I would call everyday cooking. Many of the recipes were either too complicated, too time consuming or simply too expensive to use on a daily basis. I love cooking and certainly do like to try making new dishes for the family, but this book would only serve me well if I was entertaining perhaps. Another annoying minor point was that not every recipe had an accompanying photograph. Perhaps thats just my personal preference however. The vegetarian section was also rather lack lustre. I have since purchased other gluten free cook books, all of which have been cheaper & certainly more useful.
on 28 April 2015
My friend was recently diagnosed with a wheat intolerance, this book enabled me to carry on making some of the things she loves.
The brownies are stupendous!
The scones are pretty good.
The polenta tray back was, at best, disappointing, it looked fabulous but the majority of it ended up in the bin, sadly.
I look forward to trying more things, though. Recipes are easy to follow.
Only downside - the picture on the front - perhaps I'll have to invest in some sticky-backed plastic!
on 10 May 2015
The recipes look delicious. I have already made the chestnut and onion bread (very tasty) and am making the moist fruit cake today. I am pleased that there are recipes that include gluten free biscuits, cakes, muffins, pizza bases, pastry, scones and drop scones, cheesecake bases, and crumble and I can't wait to try them! So why only 4 stars? The baking part is excellent, but is only a small part of the book. When I'm trying to learn how to make gluten free recipes, then I don't need to know how to cook food that doesn't contain gluten anyway. I can find meat and vegetable recipes in any cookbook. I don't need to be told that I can cook a pasta dish and just use gluten free pasta. I want to know what cereals and grains I can use instead of wheat and how to cook them. This book misses the opportunity to inform us about those options. Lovely recipes, but I expected more from a book endorsed by Coeliac UK.
on 13 April 2018
Great every day gluten-free recipes from a true 'Master Chef'.

Well done to Phil Vickery on coming up with some 'sensible recipes' for all us Coeliacs!
on 15 January 2016
Great chef but disappointed with this particular cook book.

Being a Gluten Free household we're limited so we always try to mix things up and try new ways of making GF interesting. We tried a lot of these recipes and just found them quite bland. I'm personally a very militant recipe follower so I struggled to work out what to add when it didn't taste very colourful.

EGBW
x
on 12 March 2012
I ordered this book along with Phil's gluten-free baking book. I have only looked at the recipes so far and I wasn't struck on any of them. I have struggled with food for a good few years now which has resulted in me being fearful of food. I tend to keep things plain and simple, and most importantly, cheap. I have a small budget for food and these recipies and ingredients are things I wouldn't eat or can't afford. I would not have bought this book if I was in a shop. That being said, I'm loving Phil's gluten-free baking book, an excellent, helpful book full of recipies of the things I love to eat but couldn't being wheat intollerant. Seriously Good! Gluten-free Baking: In Association with Coeliac UK
on 6 October 2015
Lovely simple recipes and nice pictures. Well laid out and easy to follow. A good start to gluten free cooking and my 7 year old can cook with me.
on 28 September 2013
As a recently diagnosed coeliac I have invested in several GF recipe books to inspire my gluten free cooking
The book has a great balance of naturally GF recipes and those with GF alternatives (e.g. using GF pasta and GF flour) and a good range of recipes including breakfasts, salads and snacks, main courses and desserts.

As in the GF baking book, Phil Vickery clearly demonstrates a great knowledge of the GF diet but some of the recipes do assume quite a lot of prior knowledge and cooking experience, leaving a novice like me too scared to try them.
Some of the more simple recipes I've tried have turned out very well and I hope to try the more complex recipes eventually