on 4 December 2015
Made a good birthday gift
on 6 October 2008
As a British Expat living in New Zealand I picked up this book at the library with not great expectations. Well what an amazing suprise, it dealt with a great variety of plants from perennials, shrubs, trees, fruit etc. etc. Bob Flowerdew recommends 'vines' a wee bit too much but I can forgive him. I spent many an evening devouring this lovely book with fantastic descriptions of just why a specific plant is so great, for most of their descriptions where I shared a plant they had chosen the writers were spot on. I now have a long list of new plants that I will try and source here in Christchurch, NZ. Thank you, thank you, thank you I will now go and buy a copy for not only me but my mother and mother-in-law. THIS IS A SPECIAL BOOK CANNOT RECOMMEND IT MORE HIGHLY. P.S. My Chatham Island Forget-me-knot is huge after the first season - Matt will be annoyed!
on 11 July 2013
I searched London bookshops for this title for my daughter who had requested it for her birthday, having borrowed it from the library on numerous occasions. It appears the book is currently unavailable so in desperation I turned to Amazon who had 2 new copies. The book arrived within a few days, expertly packaged and in new condition. My daughter was delighted and highly recommends the book.
on 18 September 2008
I'm completely enchanted by this book - I've never seen so many beautiful pictures in one volume, nor read such lively accounts of really useful plants. It's got all the fun of the Gardeners' Question Time radio programme about it - the authors tell you WHY they love the plant, not just what bit of the garden it's right for. Matthew Biggs's description of blueberries ('Stand aside, strawberries, your reign is over; all hail, blueberries, king of summer fruit!') made me laugh out loud, which is not something that often happens with a gardening book. And thanks to John Cushnie I know exactly which jasmine I am going to plant against my garden wall next spring. I defy anyone with a gap or a problem area in their garden not to find the right plant from this book.
on 23 November 2011
If you buy one gardening book - make it this one. A beautifully illustrated, authoritative guide to best plants to buy for your garden, written by people who know their business.
on 4 April 2015
I bought this heavyweight book to help me choose plants for my garden, which I was renovating. I needed some ideas on plants to suit certain areas (sunny, shady, dry etc.) Or with certain attributes (spring colour, child friendly etc.). This book is NOT that book. The plants are arranged by the date of the question asked, which is of no use to anyone except a dedicated fan of the show. I'm reduced to randomly browsing in the hope of finding something useful. Having said that, the entries ARE very thorough and interesting
on 3 May 2015
A beautifully-presented book with lovely photographs of every plant mentioned. It goes through the year selecting favourite plants to choose to be at their best each month. It details the facts about each plant together with a personal recommendation from one of the GQ team, past and present. An inspiration when planning a garden.
on 7 March 2012
I am very satisfied as always with the purchase. I can rely on the orders arriving on time and always as described.
on 30 December 2013
No idea why it is so cheap as full of wonderful photos and info on all sorts of great plants. Lovely book
on 13 May 2016