Customer reviews

Ballymaloe Cookery Course
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 9 May 2009
This book has been invaluable for me. I have used it every day since buying it.

Darina has a way of talking you through a recipe as if she is right there in the kitchen, and believe me there is a recipe for everything.

The book ranges from meat to veg and fruit to breads soups sauces jams and pickles and everything in between.

Many recipes have a mother recipe, for example pesto, and then variations.

My most favourite recipe so far has been the vanilla ice cream, and I have a phobia of mixing hot syrup with egg yolks, but Darina shows you how to stop it making sweet scrambled eggs.

A great buy for everyone.

Enjoy!
on 10 February 2009
I bought this book for my sister as a gift as I received it as a gift a year ago and I love it, it is expensive but you can use it as you bible for so many recipes, very easy to follow good illustrations if you are a novice cook or experienced you will for sure get something out of it. The proof that it is such a good book is that I have never been able to find it in any second hand bookshops or for sale on Amazon second hand or other sites, or if you do find it the price is almost the same as buying it new.
on 26 December 2012
The market for general cookbooks is very crowded, with some really great contenders - The Times Cookbook from the early '80s, Good Housekeeping from the same period - were my favourites. But, for my money, Darina Allen's book beats them all. Its great strength is that the recipes work well. And that's not because they're particularly easy, but this is a teaching book and fills any holes in your skills. Just look at the chapters: Stocks and soups, Starters, Eggs, Rice, other grains and pulses, Pasta and noodles, Vegetables, Salads, Fish and shellfish, Poultry, Lamb, Pork and Bacon, Beef, Offal, Game, Puddings, Cheese, Cakes and biscuits, Breads, scones & pizzas, Jams & preserves, Breakfast, Barbecues, Finger foods, Drinks, Sauces. There's also a Conversion chart, Glossary, and comprehensive Index. Chapters start with a review of techniques, how to's, and useful information, followed by recipes. A common feature is Master Recipes which detail the methodology for making a basic item, followed by variations. For example, the recipe for Sweet White Scones gives full instructions and is followed by 11 variations detailing only how they differ from the Master Recipe. This allows a very comprehensive set of recipes. I don't know how many there are, but I would guess between two and three thousand. The Index alone covers 27 big pages!

My first copy of this book was the American edition which I picked up cheap. Since then, I've replaced this with the UK version because I love baking. This book is stuffed with great cakes, biscuits, and breads, but I have never been able to cope with the vagaries of cup measures.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 3 April 2012
When I first set up home on my own, some thirty years ago, I was given a copy of the Good Housekeeping Cookbook - I still have it, somewhat battered and certainly well-used. To some degree I really don't need the Ballymaloe as I already have, quite literally, hundreds of cookery books. However, I am a cookbook addict and when I picked this one up in a remaindered bookshop a couple of years ago there wasn't a chance I would leave the shop without it. I think that I would give Darina Allen's book to someone setting up home and starting out for the first time, where I was given the GH book.

The book covers all the basics, offers clear and useful tips with excellent instructions, which would stand the inexperienced in good stead, but there is still plenty that is more adventurous and exotic. It is one of those books that provides the answer when you have gone out to the shops without having anything in mind and just chosen ingredients (Diana Henry's 'Cook Simple' is also excellent in this regard). If you have limited space or funds and need something that is comprehensive and reliable, then this is probably the best book of its type.
on 11 October 2010
Darina Allen's Ballymaloe Cookery Course

My daughter and I had this book from the public library and at the end of the 3 weeks allowed (someone else was waiting for it) we decided we could not live with out it!!!!
It is a fantastic cookery book covering every aspect of home cooking - with Darina's little chatty bits before most recipes.

A really inspiring cook book.
on 23 March 2010
I have owned this cookbook for many years, in fact I have two versions - English and American - as I moved between Europe and the US. It is invaluable, and very, very user friendly. I have used it for everything, from dinner parties, to finger buffets, to snack and picnic food. The Ballycotton Fish Pie is the best I have ever eaten, and is very easy. If you are looking for a practical, well written and useful book, with recipes that really do work, look no further. Worth every penny.
on 12 December 2007
I have read through a copy of this book and found it great so I am now going to buy it. The recipes include all the basics as well as interesting variations. It tells you things like how to cook prawns and doesnt expect you to know evertyhing before you start.
on 21 July 2013
It's a lovely book. Beautiful pictures, incredibly comprehensive and informative on both basic and more advanced culinary points, with lots of original recipes.

The only thing I would say, if you're buying it as a present, is that this is not aimed at, say, your average working parent living in a city or town. I fit into this category and though I love the book as a bedside table read, I don't use it anywhere near as much as my books by Nigella. I can't mince my beef on the day the animal's slaughtered; I can't collect fresh eggs from my free-range hens every morning; I don't have time to squeeze fresh orange juice for everyone before breakfast; and I can't collect fresh, slightly under-ripe fruit from my orchard for jam-making.

It's a very proper, old-school cookery book. There's no emphasis on time, money or labour-saving - in fact, quite the opposite. This isn't a criticism - just a point for people considering buying it, either for themselves or friends.
on 3 February 2011
I recieved this book as a gift from friends after failing to win a place (through a competition) in the Ballymaloe Cookery school. As the cost of attendance was out of my grasp, recieving this book was a wonderful surprise. It is a superb book and one of my favorites. It shows everything about cooking from the bottom up. Darina's vast experience in teaching people how to cook is obvious as it seems like she is speaking to you as you read throug the recipes. She is passionate about seasonal and local foods and enjoying food as it is meant to be, without being drowned in flavours and sauces that hide the taste of the centerpiece of your dish. I recommend this book for anyone who wants to learn a few tricks about how to prepare and season food. It would be a wonderful addition to any home chef's library of cookbooks. I love it.
on 24 November 2009
This is the only book you really need. Learn the basics and you need nothing else.
Cooking is all about basics,but you also learn to to cook meals as well.
Bally teaches some of the best chefs and cooks, learn from one of the best schools............
Learn all you need to know, I have this and Delias book.