on 30 November 2013
Very relevant to my needs. Full of really good exercises. Only critic is that the chapter on food is a bit too long and pitched at too low a level, I think it should be either shorter (if you keep it as simple as it is) or a bit more in-depth (if you keep it the same length). I particularly liked the bits of advice given by the physio who suffers herself from a hip/knee/foot imbalance and is a runner herself: I have the same problem, corrected by orthopaedic soles, and it is really nice to find encouragements to continue doing sports, instead of the usual narrative by negative people that if you do not have the perfect body (nobody has, Nureev thought his legs were too short), you should stick to watching others play sports.
on 5 September 2011
I admit when I saw the front cover had a girl on it and the two authors are women, I thought the book would be aimed at female runners - how wrong I was. This is a must read for runners of every ability and sex. It covers nearly every aspect of running whether you are just starting or you can easily run under your Boston qualifying time. There's an excellent section on injuries - one of the authors is a qualified Physio who has worked with Olympic athletes - so she knows exactly what kind of injuries runners pick up. I found it extremely useful on getting over my runner's knee and tendonitis. One thing this book doesn't have is actual running plans for say a marathon/half marathon. There is also a good nutrition section, more than just your regular eat this, drink fluids. They also talk about cross training for runners. This is a very easy to read book, and is easier to read than others out there. Essential reading.
on 27 April 2015
As a seasoned distance runner I bought this book several years ago and have found it extremely useful in structuring my daily early morning core exercises and also in identifying and remedying any running niggles. Having bought two further copies of the book, for my daughters to aid them in their running, I would recommend it to any runner whether experienced or just beginning.
on 20 August 2011
I borrowed this book from the library, considered noting down everything I might find useful, realized if I did that I'd end up copying out the whole book, so I bought a copy instead! There's not much in here about how to run faster or racing - it's about running health, injury prevention and recovery. I intend to include all of the stretches and exercises as part of my daily routine. This book will be an excellent reference should I pick up any injuries.
One person found this helpful
on 23 October 2013
This book seems full of practical and sensible advice. I think I will certainly refer to it from time to time. It has some useful stretching exercises and suggestions for varying training routines. I also like the simple flow charts that can help you to identify the most likely cause of minor aches and pains, and how to address them.
on 2 July 2013
This book is great if, like myself, you are new to running. It contains good advice about running style and where you may be going wrong, the different types of trainers, preventing and treating injuries etc. I found it easy to read and understand and would definitely recommend it.
on 27 September 2011
I really liked the clarity of the chapters in this very accessible and practical book. The flow diagrams to diagnose problems are a very helpful starting point but I think could be misinterpreted without a back up assessment from a physiotherapist. You will probably be more motivated to read this book if you want strategies to prevent injury. Great stretches and sensible advice about fluids and diet. I love this book and know I will use it a lot as a reference particularly when I am setting up a training plan.
on 11 May 2013
I got this book after suffering a running injury. I loved reading it as it's full of illustrations and you can see how to do the exercises clearly. I found the advice given very useful and I will keep on using it as reference for future activity. I would recommend it.
on 21 August 2013
I was originally loaned this book by our club running coach and was so impressed by it that I had to get my own copy. I think it will be one of those books I am constantly referring back to. Very informative and well-written.
One person found this helpful
on 23 August 2015
Excellent advice in this book, easy to read but also well written.