on 2 August 2015
I teach English and this book is a useful resource. well researched and written. The presentation is also good though at times it should stop when it has made its point and leave out a little of the extra history when it ceases to be relevant to meaning.
3 people found this helpful
on 31 December 2017
There's certainly a good selection of idioms in this book, but I think some of the explanations were a bit long winded.
on 13 January 2014
Bought this as a christmas gift for my mum. I wasn't sure how it would go down but she absolutely loved it! Said it was one of her favorite gifts! She loves looking up where sayings come from and why. My grandparents loved it to so may be buying it for them too!
4 people found this helpful
on 9 May 2017
I was hoping for a lot more from this book didn't find it that fun or useful, that might just be me as my friend who I gave it to loved it
on 25 September 2017
Useful to read a page at a time or to leave in the loo!
on 28 March 2018
good book and quick delivery
on 8 October 2016
Bought as present for my daughter-in-law - hope she loves it. She is from Slovakia and I thought it a good idea so she can understnd our funny English sayings better!!!!
on 8 February 2017
Really pleased with this. Description accurate and arrived quickly. A bit hit with my budding author nephew and good Christmas entertainment.
on 24 September 2016
A wonderful book, the like of which I can pick up, browse and put down and return to at any time.

A second copy is earmarked for my French penfriends who uses English in her job.
on 24 October 2017