on 18 January 2003
I usually buy gardening books to draw inspiration from the pictures - and this one delivered, but I really have enjoyed the amusing prose in this one too and have read it through twice. Bob's commonsense advice is interspersed with many an anecdote from his many years as an organic guru and landscape gardener. I have read many gardening books but this book still gave me new ideas and encouraged me to be at one with my compost heap - though I resisted his suggestion about weeing on it ! Move over Alan Titchmarsh.
on 1 April 2003
At last I understand why I find gardening such a chore - I'm working too hard! This book is full of really hepful tips and hints which, now I know, will turn my garden into something to enjoy. I will no longer feel like I'm going into battle every weekend. I'm not going to grow anything which I can't eat or smell (I'm not sure about the aphrodesiac bit). I will make compost with pride and try to encourage my husband to wee on it. Any bits of my garden which are looking a bit wild, I will tell everyone are dedicated to wildlife - what an excuse! Thank you Bob for a book which really is of practical help. Everyone knows decking gets mouldy and slimy and paint peels but such is the influence of 'so-called' experts, that the adoring public follows blindly. Well not anymore - make way for the Flowerdew revolution.
on 3 March 2014
As already observed by others, I think that you need to enjoy Bob's strongly expressed views on certain things to do with the approach of others to the same problems. I find him a bit intolerant and, for me, this detracted form the book a bit.

Of course one cannot take away from Bob the fact that his knowledge is extensive, but sometimes reading it is like listening to him talking. Personally, I would appreciate the contents better if they were more rigorously edited.

However, the concept is great and a lot of the ideas are very helpful. Overall I enjoyed reading it and will be referring back to it in future.
VINE VOICEon 24 February 2011
I love this book. It's full of inspirational photos and valuable advices that I have not seen in other gardening books. The book really delivers and does what it says, Bob Flowerdew shares lots of his ideas about how to get the most of your garden for the least amount of work without cutting any corner. If you want to have a pretty and productive garden but do not want to spend hours working on it then you need this book.
on 4 August 2011
Excellent book to read either cover-to-cover or dip in and out of.
I borrowed a copy at first, but ended up buying my own and another as a gift 'cos I liked it so much!
on 2 December 2015
Definitely my style of gardening - plenty of sensible tips on reducing your gardening workload
on 6 July 2014
A most practical gardening book - the only one I have ever read cover to cover.
on 4 February 2016