on 1 November 2012
I first read about Boyle's life without money a few years ago and read his last book, The Moneyless Man, which I utterly enjoyed. It was a human story of an ordinary guy trying to do something extraordinary.

However, I was left wanting more information about why he chose to live that way, and about how I could seriously get by without the need for so much of it myself, while having as good a time as it sounded like he was having! I didn't want to go as far as he did, but also hated the control it had over my life and my constant need for it, which I think we all feel to some extent.

This book has just answered both questions for me, and much, much more.

Firstly, it is beautifully written - witty, insightful, full of depth, very informative - it engrossed me start to finish. His deep understanding of fields as diverse as ecology, politics, anthropology, spirituality and the practicalities of living without money is something unique and rare, and his ability to weave them together into one coherent core philosophy even more so.

Secondly, the philosophy in this book is simply phenomenal, some of the best I have ever read, and I've read some of the greats. He exposes many of the myths and assumptions we hold about the world, things I hadn't even considered before. In the more practical chapters, I learned something new and/or inspiring on every page. I don't agree with everything he says in it, but that's part of the appeal for me: he challenges me to think about them in ways I hadn't before. It's very, very thought provoking, and possibly a real game-changer.

Thirdly, in the three days since finishing it (I read it for free on the book's website but have just bought a copy now for a friend as I want to give something back) I've already saved about £80 and made two new friends today as a direct result of a couple of the many solutions and ideas he shares in this book. That's a slightly better rate of return than the bank offers me on my cash!

This is the book of 2012 for me, and one that I hope is going to really influence my life in 2013 - especially when Christmas spending means its a reality for me in January!
on 1 November 2012
I was first introduced to Mark through his first book - The Moneyless Man - which I found to be a modern Walden in its own way - full of inspiration, practical wisdom and philosophical insight. To have lived so happily with zero cash really blows apart the myths of the modern economy in my eyes.

This one is something entirely different, but a logical follow-on and maturation from the shorter Moneyless Man. The Manifesto is a two-fold joy, with the first section dealing with the philosophy of moneylessness and a critique of massified industrialism (with its attendant division of labour, specialisation, disempowerment and alienation etc.). This first part I read fully through and thoroughly enjoyed. It's advocacy of extreme localism and disavowal of high-tech culture is something which may grate on a lot of people, but which I found refreshingly realistic and a logical necessity.

The second half of the book I found more for useful for dipping in and out of and full of more practical tips in the areas of Land, Home, Food, Water, Washing, Education etc. These sections are peppered with insight and humour, the latter point really separating Mark's writing out from the gloomy tomes which often find their way onto my bookshelf.

Read it, admire it, learn from it, and strive for a freer world.
on 19 November 2012
I have been waiting for author Mark Boyle to complete a follow up to his first book The Moneyless Man for some time and it has been truly worth the wait. If ever you have questioned the way in which we live today and wondered if there might be a better way forward then this book is essential reading material.

The Moneyless Manifesto provides much food for thought about the destructive relationship we have with our planet, each other and our own material desires. In the first section of the book Mark Boyle deals with the philosophy behind living without money and creating local sustainable gift economies, I found reading this to be uplifting and carefully thought out. I would describe the second part of this book as a manual in helping us to make important changes to our daily lives which I have found to be particularly useful. The great thing about this book is that you can take what you want from it and easily apply it to your life and leave behind other parts. I do truly believe that The Moneyless Manifesto is not only one of the most important books for our time but also a potential life saving tool that you can't afford not to have on your bookshelf. The only negative thing I can say about this is that there simply needs to be more of it.
on 23 February 2014
For a book that started so well it is very sad that by the end I was left disillusioned about the author and his motivation for the book. During the earlier part of the book the arguments he presents would appear to be balanced and well thought out / researched, if somewhat extreme however by the end and especially the "tell-all" last chapter he "confesses" to elective and very expensive (from a money-less perspective) surgery to make his life easier and then tries to justify his decision (Vasectomy). along with presenting completely un-researched "facts" about contraception " Vasectomy is the male version of a hysterectomy" In conclusion I found the fist two thirds of the book enjoyable and stimulating and would take the advice and arguments as being much like the "Cat-Walk" is to the general fashion industry, an exaggerated version of what could be, if it were tempered to meet real life. The last section is better left unread as he quite obviously ran out of time and had to "throw it in" for the publication date to be met.
on 27 April 2014
I came across this book recently in a charity shop - perhaps the previous owner took on board the gift economy idea?!

Having not read the author's first book (The Moneyless Man), my only real knowledge of "moneyless living" was limited to concepts such as Freecycle and skip diving (of which I am a great fan). But, with an interest in sustainability, permaculture and survivalism, I thought that this book would make for a good read. I was not disappointed.

The book is engrossing and thought-provoking. I found myself reading out sections to my partner because they made complete sense. Of course, for a localised gift economy to flourish, it's going to take a huge mindset change...and not just on a personal level. Unless one can join forces with other like-minded people and make moneyless living the new norm, I think that nothing short of a global meltdown of some sort (and that may not be too far off!) is going to force people to contemplate living without the illusion that is money. For the ideas, arguments and principles that are contained therein, I would give this book 5 stars.

However...on a practical level there are flaws, omissions and dilemmas - as the author himself acknowledges, to be fair. Questions raised in my own mind included, how would one live moneylessly with serious or ongoing health issues e.g. diabetes, deafness or even short sightedness? I'd be fooked without my glasses! In the UK we're fortunate enough to have free (at point of delivery) healthcare in the form of the NHS - the author himself admits to having availed himself (albeit with some guilt) of it. But if, for example, you were to take the suggested step of moving to another country to avail yourself of its "free" land or lenient planning laws, then you would most likely find yourself somewhere without free healthcare e.g. Spain. So then you'd be totally reliant on natural medicine. Nowhere does the author discuss pets. We are a nation of animal lovers - but how to have pets without money? The author blithely talks about using oil, flour etc in recipes - but without money, is the average person really going to be able to produce these? I was also rather disappointed to discover that the author lived in a caravan (granted, a free one) during his first year of living without money. Surely a mass-produced caravan goes against the principle of eschewing products built in a factory hundreds of miles away?

Actually, I think that the questions raised in my own mind are probably no different to those of the author. Living without money is going to involve a certain degree of compromise (certainly at the outset of one's journey if you choose this path) and the very "progression of principles" (POP) discussed in Chapter 3. So, I am not deducting a star for the question-raising issue as I think that is a GOOD thing!

I am only giving it 4 stars because I found too many orthographic errors throughout the book and also thought that the index could be much better than it is. Was the book not proofread before publication?

Ignoring the spelling and grammatical errors, this book is a must-read for anyone concerned about the way the world is going and looking for a simpler, happier lifestyle.
on 16 November 2012
Do you long for freedom and abundance? Have you been brought up to believe that working hard for money, a lucky win, or the exploitation of others is the only way to succeed and live well on this Planet? Could you be wrong? Perhaps cold, hard cash isn't the answer?

Meet Mark Boyle - The Moneyless Man. Allow him to share, in his new book, 'Moneyless Manifesto', strategies for a life, independent of money. Mark will take you on a journey of transition - introducing you to the gift economy andsociety's myths about money. Mark will then offer practical solutions to get you started.

And,in the spirit of the gift economy, you can read Mark's book for free here [...]

A quite amazing book that I just can't stop raving about.
on 5 September 2013
I couldn't put the book down. I laughed, I cried and then laughed some more. It made me think and question. I stopped and thought some more. I looked around me and worked out MY relationship with money, my ties, my constraints, my level of disconnect. The first part of the book addresses the culture & consequence of money, explores moneyless economies, ideas, philosophies and then the book sets out to do what it says on the tin by giving a 'comprehensive menu of ways through which you can meet your needs without money (or atleast become less dependent on it)'

I found the POP model (Progression of Principles) a really useful tool. I love it in that it can be universally applied to anyone wherever they are at. It's basically a set of goals you can set in stages, with where you are at, at the bottom and working your way through your levels to get to where you'd like to be at the top. Specific examples given in the book are helpful in enabling understanding of the model.

I think the book is courageous, with lots of personal examples and comments, not shy in looking at challenges and tricky aspects, well written, liberal doses of humour, which helps with some of the bitter pills. It is not full of complicated jargon and therefore easy to read. You can take what you like and leave the rest but I reckon the vast majority of people would get something useful or thought provoking from it at the very least. You can jump in where you are at and take it as far as you like. I found it non judgementally written with no hint or trace of arrogance or smug superiority. Give it a whirl. you can read it for free online too!!!
on 4 November 2012
What is the true impact, on our selves and on our world, of using money? Spiritually, socially, psychologically and ecologically how does money damage us? The Moneyless Manifesto delves deeply into this question, with insight, compassion and humour. While drawing on ideas of some of the world's most interesting thinkers, such as Charles Eisenstein and Derrick Jensen, Mark Boyle adds his own unique perspective and integrity to confront some of the biggest problems we are facing today. Who are we? How can we survive what's facing us? And what do we want to carry with us into any future we may have?

The book begins with the philosophy and then looks at the practical solutions for filling different aspects of our lives with relationships, not money. I don't want to go completely moneyless but it's made me realise how easy and fulfilling and immensely important it is to create as large a sphere as possible in my life that is free of money and all the baggage it brings. Some of it is fun, such as options for a money-free sex life, while some of it is serious - how do we address the issue of our lack of access to land?

Easy and fascinating to read, the ideas in the book will prove uncomfortable reading for those who are determined to carry on living as we are now - with all our convenience products and high technology. But for that reason alone, we all need to read it!
on 17 January 2013
Mark Boyle writes well on a really interesting topic. He's authentic and passionate and this comes across. Obviously I bought the book because I already think that money can be harmful but even if I hadn't I think that he would have persuaded me. I really liked how he isn't preachy about his belief that we should live in a local, gift-based economy. He sets out various ideas and lets the reader decide how many of these they want to adopt. The book isn't doom-mongering or glum - it's positive and helpful and I really liked it. For anyone who's interested in how to live cheaper and reduce their reliance on money, I'd recommend this.
on 12 April 2013
Having established a philosophy for life, and having written a book about it, the author seems to be engaged in the exercise of 'how to fill the required number of pages asked for', in this sequel. I'm only halfway through, but am still waiting to find out HOW to live well, rich and free. In the ideal world Mr Boyle describes, every community would be self sufficient and inclusive, sharing assets and time. I completely agree with this view, but as its not likely to happen any time soon, I'm not sure what to do with this nugget of insight. Perhaps the 'how to' bit is at the end/ in a previous book?