on 24 December 2001
I have found this book extremely useful in my studies and work. It was recommended to me by a Chief Electrician on board ship. The book is an excellent aid as it puts across the information needed in detail but explains it in a relatively simple way that makes it easy to understand and follow. The clear layout makes it an easy book to refer to for a particular answer, aswell as for general study. Thoroughly recommended to all Marine Engineering students.
on 21 February 2013
This book is fantastic and gets to the real point clearly and of an understanding for the electrican starting work in the shipping industry. It also give an excelant refresher for thouse who are still in the industy
on 9 May 2011
I was studying at south tynside college and iam now quallified oow engineer partly thanks to this book as it can be used to help complete most of the assignments. would recomend any cadets now studying to get a copy of this book as the ones in the libary are often loaned out also helpful to have on ship to help with portfolio reports
on 20 May 2013
Very good. It is recommended reading by our college before starting one of the electrical and electronic courses and I found it to be very good for preparation.
I bought this to refresh myself and keep as a reference book as I work on a DP ship which like most is diesel electric. I have found that whilst is does cover the basics that one would need as a cadet it lacks greatly when it comes to the new technologies that are commonplace on offshore construction vessels. Little information on vector drives or frequency converters or the problems associated with them.

I also feel that the format and overall feel of the book is old fashioned and more akin to an era since passed. The drawings are very simplistic and there are no manufacturer specific examples from the modern day.

This book is in all fairness relevant in so much as basic power electrical systems are the same, but has largely bypassed the last twenty years.

Given the price and the fact that this book is not exactly a new publication I'd not say that it was value for money. Mind you it's a limited market so I would imagine that anything new will be somewhat rare.