Customer reviews

HALL OF FAMEon 26 January 2004
Daniel O'Leary provides in this text a series of wonderful meditations on the world around us, drawing us closer to revelation, to God's love, to the beauty of creation, and to each other. O'Leary has spent his career as a priest, Christian educator, and professor of religious studies, digging into the mysteries of God's world. In this collection of pieces, he asks us to look for the deeper meaning in things, meanings that can help us live more fully.
There are 68 meditations in all. Each are between one and two pages long. This makes them ideal for incorporating into spiritual practices of daily readings or Lectio Divina. They can be read quickly at the beginning or the end of the day, or even both, to permit the mind to drift back and forth from the ideas as the day progresses, to see what insights grow.
O'Leary writes with great care and wisdom. One particular piece that I find recurring in my mind is 'The mystery of the moment'. In this piece, O'Leary talks about the miracle of every day, the importance of the extraordinary masked by the feeling of commonplace, and our own lack of presence. We don't need to call God to be present for us; we don't need to hope for joy -- God and joy are always present for us, O'Leary states, but the trick is for us to be present for them.
This is the kind of insight and meditative wisdom that makes each day's reading worthwhile. As with many things in life, some days will be more meaning-full than others, and some readings will touch different feelings at different times.
At one point, O'Leary confesses that he writes to convince himself -- this reminded me of the preaching class I had wherein the professor told the class that every good preacher is preaching to himself or herself. There is a crush in the rush of life that keeps us from seeing what we need to see, doing what we need to do, and feeling what we should feel. This book is an excellent tool to use to keep the noise and speed of life to a minimum so that life can be lived. Obviously we must still deal with the world in our regular encounters, but we can do so with a new perception.
Let this book help break the bright shining light of life and God into its glorious colours.
on 11 January 2014
We are reading this book in our prayer group and as I have missed some of the weeks I wanted to read it for myself. The chapters never fail to provoke discussion and seem to have a relevance aimed at where we are.
on 18 September 2015
It is like someone talking to you. A spiritual journey with a friend who sees the hand of God in the ordinary things of life. I would recommend this for anyone searching for meaning in their everyday life.
on 17 January 2013
Daniel O'Leary has the gift of being able to explain his thinking in a clear and readable manner so as to be utterly convincing.
on 10 July 2014
The most inspirational and helpful book I have ever read.
on 7 July 2014
Very good reading. I like the author
on 19 February 2017
Very inspirational
on 27 August 2010
I had already read this book and wanted to share it with my friends I was very impressed with the speed of delivery thank you
on 26 April 2016