on 19 April 2015
I treated myself to this book, and - wow - I am so glad I did! It is beautifully produced and full of a wide range of wonderful recipes that vary in preparation difficulty from simple to advanced. When the book arrived, I instantly made the Shortbread, which was just perfect with some strawberries I had to hand.

Every renal patient will be on a different diet, tailored to their own requirements. This book makes it clear that you should check with your own dietitian to make sure that the dishes in this book are appropriate for you. That said, I think there is enough information in the front of the book, and in the recipes themselves, to make it easy for most renal patients experienced with their own diets to judge whether a recipe will fit their requirements or not. If you are a very new kidney patient and still scratching your head over what you can and cannot eat, and in what quantities, this book will still be a very worthwhile purchase, but you may want to get the hang of your new diet for a little while before you embark on some of this book's recipes. Renal diets can be daunting and stressful!

Please remember also: this is a cookbook. It does not have the exact breakdown of, for example, potassium or phosphate for each recipe. That information can be obtained through a dietitian or even on the internet. The book uses a system of daily exchanges/portions in each recipe for fruit, vegetables, potatoes, protein, and dairy. This is an Irish system, however I didn't find it all that different to some I'd seen before. I found it fine as a useful tool, however my dietary requirements may not be nearly as strict as some.

There are so many outstanding recipes in this book, I don't know where to start. I know Truly Tasty will be a well used book in my kitchen. There aren't really a shortage of kidney diet recipes on the internet - many aren't that appealing, however. I haven't spotted any other cookbooks that I wanted to bother investing in either. I'm glad I found this Irish publication. It belongs at the top of the heap from what have seen around so far. My only criticism belongs to Amazon for not including a "Look Inside" preview feature for the book. I would have liked to have seen some of the dietary information and recipes listed before purchase. Overall, an outstanding cookbook. A wonderful buy that I will no doubt be happy with for years.
on 16 August 2014
Bought for my father. He is not easy to please and found this very useful - Really cannot say more (or better) than that. Recommended if this fits your dietary requirements.
on 29 April 2013
Good book, very good and tasty recipes for someone on a Renal diet, and well balanced, by expert Chefs, all well balanced and presented
on 23 January 2013
I have already tried some of the recipes and they are truly delicious. A lovely book that I would recommend. Many thanks Jenny Ryan
on 5 September 2012
An excellent book which enables me to cook a variety of meals for my husband who is on kidney dialysis and a restricted diet.
on 12 October 2015
bought this for my brother who had kidney failure he adapted some of the recipes ,and gave him good ideas to make food
on 10 December 2012
rather enjoyed this . What a good idea to try and give ideas for tasty dishes. Mind you I haven't tried them yet but they look interesting. I thought it a great wheeze to get top chefs to devise suitable menus
on 31 August 2014
An excellent book! Definately worth the price
on 18 October 2014
Very useful for those with this condition.
on 3 July 2014