Customer reviews

Darkwerks
Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 October 2001
I wish I'd had this book during my Art A-Level as my project was Fantasy art and I lost marks for lack of research of other artists who worked in that field. Tolkien just didn't jel as my work was a little meaner-people with nails through their heads, elongated bodies etc-but after reading the numerous reviews, i bought this book.
Gerald Brom must have some warped dreams, each 'character' is totally original and chillingly represented, like 'Stringer' and 'Lady Death.' His use of colour and contrast is absolutely amazing, and here and there between illustrations are scattered his sketchworks and character concepts, so you see how they developed and changed as he worked on them.
My favourites are 'X-cess' 'War Wind' and 'Vexacious' but then I love the entire book. Reccomend his other book, Offerings, as this is also the same style of artwork.
on 28 June 2000
I first saw this book some years ago, but stupidly failed to buy a copy before it went out of print. I am greatly releived to see that it`s available again and have remedied my error. The art of Gerald Brom is brilliantly executed and the print quality of this book is well up to Paper Tigers usual standards. Be warned however Darkwerks is a good title for this book and anybody looking for chocolate box art should look elsewhere. If you are willing to take a walk on the dark side however this is as good as it gets.
on 18 October 2000
The book is really fantastic! It's a good look at some "darker" and "grittier" illustrations, both from fantasy (most of the visually stunning Dark Sun covers are by Brom) and from post-apocalyptic dark futures.
Brom is a great artist - get the book, you won't be disappointed!
on 31 August 2001
I first saw Brom's work when he did some illustrations for Wizards of the Coast. On their Magic:The Gathering line. This would be the Dark Angel.
I also enjoy this style of images as it really is a good mixture of Fantasy and a dark future.
on 28 November 2001
Brom has a fantastic eye for the horrific, the terrifying and the beautiful. This book has been a HUGE source of inspiration for me in the few months since i was given it by my girlfriend.... I would have to say my personal favourites are the dark-future style illustrations, although to be honest the whole book is one huge feast for the eyes, and i cannot begin to describe the beauty of brom's visions.
BUY THIS BOOK