on 26 May 2017
Arrived 24th May. Perfect condition.
on 19 March 2017
Some very amusing moments.
on 30 July 2017
Great
on 18 August 2014
I bought this for my mum after having been to see Gervase Phinn talk. She loved it and he is a very funny man.
on 12 November 2013
As an avid fan of Gervase Phinn's work I found 'Mangled English' very funny. It certainly made me smile. Most enjoyable.
on 14 June 2016
Mr Phinn is literary Marmite. I’m not convinced this book will change anyone’s mind. There are 25 short, themed chapters, and this book is best dipped into a chapter at a time rather than read all the way through.

Yes, it *did* make me laugh out loud, and heartily, but not as often as other books of this genre have done. Examples that I found funny are “Cooking with Poo” (p9, yes, honest, it’s even sold by Amazon, ISBN 0977507076), “Take off top and push up bottom” (p113, instructions on lipstick), “Erected to the memory of John Philips accidentally shot as a mark of affection by his own brother” (p144, on a tombstone).

What it didn’t do was make me laugh out lud as much as other books have done. Some of the examples are too well-worn, hackneyed, and familiar, and there’s a bit too much anecdotal waffle for me: as acknowledged above, other people like that sort of thing.

There are also some avoidable mistakes. On p62, in the chapter on euphemisms, Phinn defines “casualty” as a euphemism for “dead”: no it isn’t; a wartime casualty is anyone not present at roll call, and so includes being sick (eg with the ‘flu), suffering a non-combat related injury (eg tripping over something and banging your head), any level of combat-related injury all the way from a blister caused by marching to a recoverable wound to a serious wound worthy of being discharged from the forces to a fatal wound, being captured, lost, or in military prison. This is a major failing of many books on WW1 that give (deliberately ?) the impression of piles upon piles of dead bodies, whereas a reputable historian will differentiate (as far as the data allows) each category of casualty.

On p63 he, like too many, conflate “shell shock” with PTSD: not so; WW1 contemporary footage of shell-shock sufferers shows them wobbling in manner akin to cerebral palsy, not a symptom of PTSD. Both of these are solvable by finding and asking the appropriate people: well within Mr Phinn’s range of skills.

It’s one of those books that is given at Christmas, read once or twice, gathers dust, and then goes to the charity shop.
on 18 November 2013
I read this in a morning as it was so light-hearted yet it also reminded me of a lot of English technical terms that I had forgotten. I loved the book requests-hilarious!
on 1 January 2014
My wife is a teacher and loves to read and hear Gervase Phinn.

Throughout Christmas she was chortling to herself while reading this fine book.
on 3 January 2014
Had us laughing all Christmas. Many innocent mistakes I am sure most of us have made at some time or other
on 14 October 2014
Very entertaining and read it aloud to whoever would listen, Couldn,t put it down. Children are a constant source of unintentional humour and have done for years. However adults could learn too!