on 27 June 2003
As usual very well written. But the nearer the end the I had to re-read many paragraphs as I felt I was loosing the drift. Which worries me slightly as its aimed at children.
I will find out soon if I was wrong as my son is rapidly getting through it. Its good to see various people turn up again (Lupin,Moody,ect). Its also attacks Harry's and most teenage boys dread "understanding girls" witch I found very amusing.
I only gave it 4 stars as I felt it didnt live up to "the goblet of fire"
on 2 April 2014
I think this book is very good but you should definitely read the first four Harry potter books to make sure because if you can't handle say the third book of Harry potter you would definitely not be able to read any of the higher books what I did was my parents were very responsible and after I read the fourth Harry potter book I had a bit of a break from Harry potter books and after I had spent Quite some time on other books and continued onto Harry potter.

Tabs1808 rate me!!!!!!!
on 28 June 2003
This book is the greatest book I have ever read! It tells many secrets and has many twists. It is a very good story with great descriptions and amazing characters. You will find out much about the past of Harry's mother, Lily potter. They get to do alot more than in the other books, they even get ot train dragons! Some of the amazing characters have changed alot, and the new ones are mostly based on proper people. All in all I reccomend this great piece of literature for ages seven and above!
on 28 June 2003
As a big Harry Potter fan I, like many othes, have been desparate for this fifth installment. I was utterly elated to see that this is about a third longer than The Goblet of Fire but was worried-would I be satisfied with the storyline for the whole book? I had no need to worry because J.K. Rowling has come out with another winner. There is a much darker feel to this book to the previous ones and we see a more sullen adn confused Harry. Buy this! You will not be disappointed with any aspect.
on 27 June 2003
It took me all weekend and well into Monday, but I finished it! I found it completely un-put-downable. Harry has entered adolescence with a vengence and is angry at the world (and Ron and Hermione spend much of their time bickering as well). Much hangs on this story - together with Harry we are given a great deal more valuable information about his past, his parents and his relationship with Voldemort. Oh, and there is that well-publicised death in it too!
I just wish it was longer...
on 12 July 2003
I live in France, and I only got my hands on this book because I ordered it from Amazon, I read it within 2 weeks, and... IT WAS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT, this book is alot more grown up than all the other books, and I think if you have read the first 4 books, this is a must. There is alot more emotion, and some of the characters are brilliant, and a very engaging storyline. I like at the end how everything that has happened in the last 4 books explains itself. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE BUY IT!
on 24 June 2003
After a two year wait for this book, i was not dissapointed. It was brilliant, pure brilliance. I Couldn't put it down untill i finished it. The book itself is based on Harry's 5th year at Hogwarts, and certainly his most challenging with Umbridge and many other factors such as his OWLs and his Lovelife with Cho. Although this book was superb, there is a major problem with it, after taking less than 24 hours to finish it , i've got at least 2 years before the next installment is finished
on 23 June 2003
I love the Potter series and eagerly ate Pheonix. But 766 pages? Where was the action and atmosphere? Where were the eagerly sort after revelations? I was disappointed. I lost patience with Harry. It felt more like a journal than the thrilling adventure I had looked forward to for so long. Perhaps, like "Empire Strikes Back" it is an essential link in the series, but not outstanding in its own right. Perhaps this is the necessary groundwork for future triumphs. Roll on number 6.
on 15 June 2005
O.K. This review is being is written about a month before the publication of the sixth book and is my way of preparing for that fabulous thing a new chapter in the Harry Potter saga. I read ootop (order of the phoenix) in 24 hours the day it first came out and it had all thr Rowling magic. She continues to create an exciting complete world for her wizards and witches to inhabit, which is one of my favourite elements of the series. There is Fred and George madness and the growing feelings between Ron and Hermione which are both always entertaining. I love the way J.K Rowling has allowed her charachters to gain depth and complexity. Harry is becoming increasingly mature, leaving behind the innocence and insecurity which defined him in Philosiphers Stone and facing the tough responsibilities of adulthood while Dumbledore who has previously seemed infallible is allowed to nshow vulnerability. There are some great new charchters in this one. Prominently the delicously slimy Professor Umbridge and the fabulously colourful Nyphadora Tonks ( I maintain that Tonks and Lupin are destined for each other, No one, not even J.K Rowling will convince me otherwise), and the reintroduction of some great old ones- particularly Lupin who has always been my favourite charachter. There are also some great moments in this, the description of the ministry, the dramatic finale in the department of Mysteries (I loved the brain room especially), and Harry's journey into Snape's pensieve. The last was my favourite as I've always wanted to know what James got up to at school. So now we know, wasn't he ghastly!
However I missed the mystery solving format of the previous books, the scooby gang or golden trio didn't have quite as much to do. Dumbledore's final revelation was also a bit dissapointing, I knew that already, it was obvious from book 1.
Can't wait for the next one though- how wil Harry cope with the events of this one?
on 25 July 2003
An amazing and compelling story i could'nt put it down! The whole thing at over 700 pages did appear a bit daunting and I even had to lug the brick all the way to america in my handluggage and was subjected to criticism of 'you didnt bring that all the way from london?!!' but it was well worth it!! A whole lot is revealed in this 5th book and questions are finally answered. Harry becomes so much more animated, temper tantrums and all! Rowling weaves the story before our eyes leaving blanks and mysteries until the end as usual which keeps the reader on their toes. With so much information to explain it did take a bit of time for things to get going, then again anticipation is half the fun.
It was in this book that i realized that i had become very attached to some of the characters besides harry and the leading roles. The twins for example although are secondary characters you learn to really love them and want to jump up applauding at one point when they take their risk taking practrical jokes a bit further. Dumbledore is another character I found myself smiling about as i read who does not show himself a whole lot within this book until the end, however you get to see a very different side to him. Hats off to J. K. Rowling who tells it all so beautifully, many a times you just want to jump into the book and join Harry and his friends you feel kinda left out only being about to watch it in your mind. The books are gettin darker and more sinister as they go along and this one has left me in great antipicipation for the 6th one! So if you havnt read it already you better start! your missing out on a great deal!