on 25 May 2004
I enjoyed this one most out of the five so far. It's the one where the characters get on best, their personalities come through very well, the story moves along and you find out more of Harry's background, and the school life is shown well. So why does it get only one star?
It gets one because it falls apart with Hermione and her time-travel thing. That undermines everything because suddenly anything anywhere can be changed. If you can suddenly mess about with time, then Voldermort could just go back and kill Harry's parents, or kill anyone in his direct family before he was born and suddenly NO MORE HARRY. It's such a massive plot hole and I can't believe JKR used it because it blows the series totally. If time travel is possible in Harry's world then nothing is ever final because everything can change at any moment, depending on who is controlling time itself. Big mistake, in terms of plot development. Try reading books four and five without thinking about Hermione's time piece. They don't work at all, because they should be very different once the principle of time travel is applied to them. If Harry could wind the clock back, suddenly the cause of all the problems in those books don't need to happen in the first place. Ooops.
If like me you love the idea of time travel then try reading ones where it's all been thought through properly, and the stories have been built on it. The Time Traveller's Wife is good, The Time Machine of course, and The Odessa Stone and The Guardian Of Time. They're all based on the effects and so on about messing with time or observing time passing by, and they work brilliantly because the principles get established about what's going on - and who's in charge of them! Most important, they're well thought out.
So if you can ignore the pitfall of JKR's folly in this one, which most people seem to do very easily, then you'll really enjoy the whole story, and the whole series as well. For me though, it's the most enjoyable story but it leaves a really big mess afterwards - but only if you think about it.
88 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 July 2001
This is definitely my favourite Harry Potter - even if, as a Malfoy fan, there are more and more reasons to hate the Bouncing Ferret (this will have no relevance if you have not also read Goblet of Fire). Basically, Azkaban has it all: more mayhem, more magic, wonderful characters and a plot twist that is as 'cunning as a fox who has just been made Professor of cunning at Oxford University'. I did not see it coming and was practically shrieking 'Oh my GOD!' In other words, buy this book, you need Harry Potter in your lives and this is the best of the current four.
on 20 April 2001
I am 16 year old girl, and got this book and also "the goblet of fire" for Christmas. A couple of weeks ago, bored with GCSE revision, I thought I may as well give them a go. I started reading this book.....and couldn't stop!! It was so gripping, and the story was brilliant! I couldn't believe the twists at the end, and the whole thing was as good as any "adults" book. I then went on to read "the goblet of fire" in the same week, which I also could not put down. J.K.Rowling is a genius, and I can't wait for the next installment!!!
on 24 March 2000
This is a great book! I did n't actually believe the ending at first as it was really unexpected. I love Harry Potter books and this one is no exception. My favourite charector is Hermione Granger how now does n't mind getting into a bit of trouble. I think the charectors are really well described which I suppose will help the people who are making the Harry Potter Movie. I hope the new book will live up to the rest of the Harry books in this excellent collection! All I can say to J K Rowling is 'keep up the good work and I can't wait for the next book!'
on 3 July 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed
on 21 March 2015
Perfect condition.
on 8 July 1999
I am one of the lucky Americans who got a hold of an advanced copy of this book (just couldn't seem to wait until the Sept. US release). Ms. Rowling has once again spun her magic touch and taken us back to another spellbinding year at Hogwarts. Her style of twists and turns along with the introduction to new characters (and creatures) as well as the going-ons of old characters (and Quidditch equipment) makes looking forward to each new semester a delight. Ta (I understand that means thank you) Ms. Rowling! Can't wait for the next semester to begin.