Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 April 2013
My son is 12 and though he is not diagnosed as dyslexic, has always had really terrible spelling. Over the years I've gone on at him to use a dictionary and he's maintained that you have to already know how it's spelt to look it up. This dictionary has changed all that. When it came I had a look at it and it looked really hard to use as it's so different from a 'normal' dictionary so I didn't have much faith in it. However I gave it to him telling him to look up a few hard words such as gnarled and gauge and he found them and spelled them correctly. Incredible. Obviously he still has to know when to look up a word but hopefully if there's any doubt he will and I ultimately his spelling should improve. Wish I'd bought something like this for him years ago.
on 21 May 2012
Creative approach to spelling difficulties. Focusses on the central vowel sound of a word instead of on spelling patterns or rules which are hard to learn and have too many exceptions to be really helpful.
on 10 January 2013
My child is dyspraxic and this book helps with the academic side of spelling. It is not a dictionary sor meaning, only a resource for finding out how to spell using phonics. A great aid for my child and would defo recommend.
on 30 November 2012
My Daughter likes using this dictionary and helps her go back to basics and using phonics and thinking about the words she is tring to spell
on 19 July 2016
This dictionary is absolutely brilliant, this is ideal for people who understand sounds and syllables but have issues with spelling.

The way it works is that you have to identify the short or long vowel in a work, for example the o sound in dog or the a sound in cat.

From there you look at the matrix and look what the first sound in the work for example d and in dog or n as in knight or n as in gnome

Then you use the matrix to locate the page number in the book. You go to the page and the words are listed by the amount of syllables in the word. 1 in dog, 4 in cat-as-troph-ie

Then look down the list and find the work, Although this sounds convoluted I was doing this with my 7 year old dyslexic son and he picked it up in seconds. There is no chance in a regular dictionary he would have found any of the words that he found in this in seconds. It is really going to help with his confidence in creative writing.

This is just such a brilliant way of organising words for those who cannot spell.
on 23 April 2016
This is an ideal book for anybody who has problems with spelling brilliant for dyslexics ADHD etc. I was concerned my daughter would find it too hard to use this book she grasped it straight away and now says it's the best thing ever it has really helped her.
She has Dyspraxia and Dyslexia.
on 9 October 2014
I think this is book is great, my dyslexic son (year 6) is using it confidently to look up the words he needs for his written homework. It also turns out there are copies at school and having learnt how to use it at home he is now using his time in the classroom more effectively by using one of these rather than aimlessly looking through a traditional dictionary.
I was not sure whether to get this one or the more advanced one. I am very glad I chose this one, it has all the words he needs and I think it will serve him well into secondary school.
Unexpectedly at the front of the book are plenty of activities to get you used to how to use it, there are four 'lessons' each with three activities and having worked through them my son is confident in using it. Also at the back of the book are some excellent teaching strategies and advice about how to improve spelling. Worth the purchase price on there own.
Overall I am really pleased with this book, it was money well spent and I highly recommend giving it a go.
on 4 November 2015
Brilliant dictionary for children, quite ingenious and well thought through. Sounding out the first vowel and then identifying the first letter of the word is then cross referenced in the index to find the page the word can be found on. Then you count the number of syllables in the word to identify the column the word is in and hey presto there's the word. Each vowel sound is given an animal that has that corresponding sound i.e. 'ie' sound lion and so all pages with that corresponding sound has a lion at the bottom so children will know they are in the correct section. I wish I had come across this earlier but now I can help improve and develop my children's vocabulary and spelling and it won't be long before they will feel confident looking up the words themselves.
on 15 January 2013
I bought the dictionary and book for my husband. The dictionary makes it much easier for him to find words and spellings. The book has also helped boost his confidence in showing good advantages of the problem even though some passages had to be read to him by a non dyslexic reader. In finding it hard to read and write he felt a bit less intelligent than he is, but now he sees that in fact this is not the case. a must for everyone who has someone roubd them with dyslexia, or just wants to know more about it.
on 15 February 2014
I can't believe that I've only just been told about this... 2 children with dyslexia and just been advised to get one! It is incredible! How using a normal dictionary would they ever find the word gnome or psychological or knife etc as if you don't already know about the silent letters you will never find it... This dictionary is totally incredible... Takes all of 2 minutes to learn how to use, then it is just so so simple.

N.b. This is a dictionary for spelling words not looking up meanings... But arguably an essential tool for anyone who struggles with spelling!!!