Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 May 2002
Indispensible guide to just about every illness, symptom and it's herbal remedy, including dosages of each herb and the different ways it can be taken. It's arranged in alphabetical order without any cross-referencing needed and even unknown words can be looked up within the alphabetical text. It's full of knowledge, easy to use and I've even ordered copies for my friends who keep asking if they can borrow it!
11 comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 February 2001
Its the best reference book I have. If you have better, PLEASE email me!!! Its got 550 herbs (dosages & properties etc), countless illnesses, many foods, names of famous people & organisations to look up as well as a great & thorough appendix for contacts (mainly UK) & further research.
on 16 May 2001
I am a medical herbalist and a member of the International Register of Consultant Herbalists.I do find this book a useful reference and frequently use it. My one reservation is that it uses the allopathic approach to prescribing. What I mean by this is the assumption that a particular illness can be treated with a particular set of herbs. This risks ignoring the specific causal factors in a case and encourages herbs to be prescribed based upon the symptoms or disease label.Having said this there is a lot of useful information in the book and a lot of experience has been put down on paper for the reader.
33 comments| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This has to be the most 'thumbed through' and dog eared book that I own in this particular genre.

If anyone in our house is poorly this is my first port of call providing I am 100% sure what the problem is. Failing that, I will get a diagnosis from my G.P., and rather than take anti-biotics will then search for an alternative remedy.

There are herbal remedies, homeopathic remedies, aromatherapy remedies, advice on how to make tinctures (i.e. what ratios to use etc), and the illnesses listed in the book are extensive even going so far as to list a very rare condition that I suffer from.

So far I have helped my husband with his Eczema which to him was a huge relief and I have also made tinctures up for animals and myself. Granted, some of the herbs are not native to this country but a good Herbalists shop should carry stocks of most things you need. I would suggest though that if you are not conversant with our native plants or unsure of what you are picking then it is probably better to ask an expert or even buy a companion book on edible plants and flowers. Another useful addition to your preparation is a mortar and pestle.

Nature's Pharmacy is truly a wonderful thing and many of today's medicines were originally extracted from trees and plants. For example, Aspirin comes from the bark of the Willow Tree and just nibblng on a small piece of bark can banish a headache swiftly.

A superb book and one that I will soon have to replace as my old copy is now in danger of falling to pieces from constant use.
on 2 April 2008
I am a research medical herbalist of some 33 years, I am so impressed with this book that I have treasured my copy and would never be without it, as well as buying several copies to give as gifts for friends all over the world.
This book is crammed full of useful and well researched knowledge, obviously gained from extensive study as well as hands on experience. Its a must have!
I can strongly recommend this book, its one of the best on the market today and Thomas Bartram is the fellow of the National Institute of Medical Herbalists in the UK so he is well respected and well accomplished in his field.
on 9 March 2007
I've used this book for reference several years now, and find it quite the quickest and most concise way of finding out about a particular herb or condition. It's useful to not be a complete beginner to herbs when reading this book, but anyone from keen layperson to herbalist would, I'm sure, find this book extremely useful.
on 30 January 2001
Definitely the definitive guide to the Herbal treatment of diseases. Excellent in its multi-faceted approach, with clear concise descriptions of the properties and benefits of countless numbers of herbs, essential oils and common diseases. The book is consistant and well laid out and very thourough in its approach. This is the most detailed book I've read, one of the best books I've ever read, I can't recommend it highly enough!
on 1 August 2009
Arrived so soon and in perfect condition!
I have wanted this book for so long and now finally I can stop stealing the one in Neil's Yard and do my own research. It offers infinite advice to our household and is a delight to have in the reference section. This is a MUST for all people who prioritise their health.
on 6 February 2002
I was eagerly expecting to receive this volume and when it came I found a treasure in my mailbox; info is well written and accurate. If you are an amateur hebalist or a professional one this book is for you, oh and thank you Amazon for the usual quick delivery.
on 22 July 2015
Full of useful information. Covers specific herb uses and medical conditions. The book is all text with no pictures so you may need a companion book to help with identifying and more information about the different plants.