on 9 December 2014
If you only buy one book on depression, this should be it. Not only are the techniques great, the explanation of depression, why it can occur, and how to 'feel' about it is priceless. I've been suffering from this illness for 4 years, have had various and ongoing therapies and purchased various books, but no one could explain depression to me in the way Paul Gilbert has. Understanding this dark, bottomless pit of an illness goes some what toward the cure.... Although there is much more work to do.
on 23 May 2014
Suffering from depression,i enjoyed reading this book. In my experience there are no complete cures for depression,but this book has got good advice,is very understanding of self criticism & how being more kind to yourself,helps. It's whether or not you can heed this advice whilst having an episode? I have read numerous books on depression & this is well worth the read.
on 14 January 2016
Brilliant book. I was told to get this by my CBT therapist and have only read to chapter 7, but it is already helping me with my depression. It's as if the book was written about me! I know and understand now it is not my fault I feel like I do, and it's such a relief. I highly recommend this book.
on 11 May 2014
At 600 pages it is quite a read for a self help book. It is designed so that you can dip,in and out of the exercises without having to read the theory and principle on which it is based. The book is easy to read however snd offers a very good insight into relevant mental health issues and is therefore a worthwhile read. Overall, a well written interesting self hep guide
on 22 September 2017
This book was far too complicated for someone in the depths of depression to follow.
on 25 November 2016
Brilliant book. Goes in depth about depression and the factors that are hidden away. The core beliefs and experiences etc. Really digs deep and helps understand depression holistically. Defo recommend this to anyone struggling with depression, even anxiety or generally feeling down or bored in life.
on 14 July 2012
This book is the only book I have managed to find that goes into great depth about depression. Beating depression is not just about getting out more, etc. It's good to know the causes and how depression affects us all. Each chapter gave a lot about depression.

It has made me more self aware about my depression. Would highly recommend this book.
on 7 June 2013
I think this book should be bought as a paper back. It is a big book and one you may want to refer back to for particular chapters. This is difficult on the Kindle. The text was very varying in size and the charts where hard to read. The book itself is ok, I thought it might be typical of the type of text you expect from a book like this but thankfully it isn't.
on 8 February 2018
A tough read for someone who is depressed.
on 1 July 2013
Excellent book as a starting point if you have just begun your journey to curing depression. It gives you all the the information that you need about depression and helps you to understand why you feel the way you do. It also puts across an important message that depression is not your fault and is an illness that can be beaten.

If you have just been diagnosed I encourage you to read, read, read. Learn everything you can about this illness, because the more you know, the better you know your enemy, the better equiped you will be to defeat it. Oh, and run, run every day and meditate as this book will tell you.