on 12 June 2017
I found this course book very helpful in my workshop. It answers a lot of nagging questions I had about my Milling technique. I would recommend this book for amateur and professional alike. There is a lot of very useful information in this comprehensive book.
on 14 April 2017
Great my first REAL book in 20 years.
on 7 March 2017
perfect
on 29 November 2014
as usual correct in al ways.

And I shall be back
great book
on 1 September 2017
Good book
on 27 February 2010
I had been put off buying the book by some of the negative reviews, but thankfully was given one as a present. Right from the start the author makes it plain that this book is a sequel to the lathework - a complete course book #34. So I assumed this meant the milling book was directed toward readers with some metal working experience - I have none! Yet I found the book very accessible and many of the techniques used are going to be very useful to me. Mr Hall goes through the basics of milling and demonstrates this through several simple projects. Prior to receiving the book I had made some T-nuts, and thanks to the book now understand how to make these properly. I will also be making the clamp bars and will be getting an angle plate. Mr Hall clearly explains the advantages and disadvantages of a vice and how to modify a drilling vice for light milling, however he prefers using angle plates, cylindrical squares and clamps - and makes most of the items in the book with these. The grinding rest and accessories will also be very useful. He even shows how to make a set of parallels with great accuracy.
This is a 'doing' book rather than a good read. It has loads of tips that I have picked up and will be using to correct many of the mistakes I have already made with my Denford TRIAC CNC mill. This has turned out to be a great present which I will refer to frequently!
on 15 February 2010
This book is clearly written by an author who understands his audience. The book contains crisp illustrations and can be read on several levels.

First, how to bootstrap yourself from having no milling accessories.
Starting from strip and bar materials, it enables a build up from simple work holding devices to relatively sophisticated, precisely adjustable tool holders.

Second, how to make a range of specific tools.
T nuts, clamps, angle plate, boring head, dividing head, tool and cutter grinding rest; take your pick! The book contains detailed plans for the manufacture of the last three devices/

Finally, a reference for techniques.
If you only need advice on particular approaches or if you want ideas on "how to do it"s then this book provides insights into various holding and machining techniques which could be used or adapted for your current project.

All in all, "Milling: A Complete Course" is a very useful book.
on 15 June 2010
I found the book helpful - not quite what I was looking for but very useful nevertheless. At Amazon price it's unbeatable for a learner like me who has just found the machine 'on/off' switch and didn't know much else before reading the book. The starter exercises with their instructions look good and I now understand how to perform various operations, although I may not undertake all the projects described. My first two (simple)jobs are now completed satisfactorily and safely.