Customer reviews

on 25 October 2012
Rachel, the central character of the play, has been through a horrific sexual attack by an unknown stranger who is still at large. She has since lost the use of her legs and is bed-bound.

Over the course of the play, her friends/acquaintances and her mother try to talk to her, to open some sort of line of communication with her and help her. But none of them, understandably, are sure what to do.

It doesn't sound like a set-up that would allow for much good theatre - with a bed-bound protagonist and all the action happening in one room. But Thorne's skill as a writer means that the play is actually sad, poignant and really rather moving. It also avoids sentimentality. There is no preaching about how awful rape is (because we already know) and Rachel never really asks for sympathy.

'When You Cure Me' approaches huge, traumatic issues with a feather-light touch. I wish I had seen the the original production but sadly I didn't. Nonetheless, this is a really great play and I thoroughly recommend it.
on 5 July 2014
Have not read much from this writer but this particular script is one I doubt I will read again. Had potential early but didn't really go anywhere, ending abruptly and I felt was trying to be controversial for the sake of it.
I look forward though to reading more from Thorne to see if he can win me round with other work.