Customer reviews

VINE VOICEon 10 November 2012
I have only recently taken an interest in Turner having read a short biography by Peter Akroyd. I am familiar with his sunsets and the traditional favourites, but his watercolours are pretty much unkown to me. What interests me about them and, belatedly, Turner in General, is how modernist they are. They are deftly executed, with mastery and economy of detail and effect, but are the more powerful for it. When you look at these works you are left with the question, who can paint like this anymore? Well, actually, quite a lot of people, but few if any in the currently established avante garde and they make mockery of much of the drawing you see nowadays, when you consider that a few splashes of paint by Turner, who could draw, make more sense graphically than the copied lines and the factory produced artifacts of masters in the post-modern era.
on 25 November 2012
I have purchased this book for my friends Xmas present, having already bought one for myself. It is a beautifully illustrated book, showing the colourful watercolours that Turner is perhaps less known for. Beautiful book.
on 15 February 2015
Excellent book , delighted with it and it is easy to put in my handbag and read when travelling.