on 30 January 2008
Reading this collection of stories is rather like travelling Britain via its country lanes. Occasionally you can hear the far-off hum of the motorways, but it never interrupts your enjoyment of Britain's traditionally non-conformist landscape, physical and mental. The word quirky has so often become indistinguishable from twee, but here recaptures its original meaning with this collection of stories and recollections distilled from a lifetime of observation. With all due respect, forget Bill Bryson, this is the authentic voice of a Britain hidden in plain sight.
on 3 December 2003
I bought An Audience with an Elephant the day after finishing Rogers' newest book The Bank Manager and the Holy Grail which I found fantastic.

An Audience with an Elephant is again a great work of social history, funny and beautifully written. As with The Bank Manager and the Holy Grail I thought I could read this book in small time chunks as each chapter is a separate story. Every time I got to a point where I thought right I shall stop reading for now after this chapter I HAD to read on.

Again, as with The Bank Manager and the Holy Grail the stories in this book reinforce the statement that fact is stranger than fiction - especially if the story about Adthorp and the flowers for Di is true !!

Great book, ask for it (and The Bank Manager and the Holy Grail)for christmas or buy it/them for someone and read it/them first as you will not want to put it/them down until you have finished.
on 25 May 2004
This is a truly enjoyable collection of stories of England,eccentricity and something to enjoy with a cuppa on a rainy day. Only complaint was that it fizzles out a little towards the end and some pieces seem too short and others too long. A great gift book though and well worth a look.
on 5 September 2013
I'm not going to lie, I loved this book. I finished it immediately wanting to visit each and everything mentioned in its pages, and still might do yet. I was not familiar with Byron Rogers before reading this, but his style and outlook appealed to me no end. If you like Bill Bryson I think you will like this.
on 6 May 2013
Funny, witty, informative, sobering, addictive; the 2nd book by BR that I've read and just as good as the 1st (Bank Manager + Holy Grail). Warning; looking at relevant OS maps can be habit-forming :-)
on 8 December 2012
A quirky,entertaining read,well written and humorous as well as being sometimes a bit more serious. I could dip in and find myself discovering some real gems written with feeling and some panache. Recommended
on 17 October 2013
The author is 'local' to where I live and several of the chapters were about people or places nearby, therefore of extra interest to me.
on 22 August 2014
Delightful and very original.