on 11 June 2017
Great gift
on 15 March 2017
great
on 5 July 2017
Brilliant book! Brings back so many lovely memories of my teenage years!
on 2 September 2013
a great look back to teenage years and friends have laughed at the past fashions too. a really great buy
on 31 December 2005
This is a gorgeous wallow in nostalgia for any girl who grew up in the 70s. The funky fashions, the silly quizzes, quirky recipes, clever ways of revamping your bedroom and clothes, the wise agony aunts Cathy and Claire and most of all the guys who made our hearts race - David (Cassidy and Essex), Donny, Bay City Rollers etc. are all here. Lovely book
on 30 April 2006
Ok, so I wasn't alive in the 70s but, in common with several other reviewers on here, I found much to like about this charming trip down memory lane. Perhaps due to a childhood filled with my parents' rose-tinted anecdotes about the decades in which they grew up (the 60s and 70s) I have always been attracted to all things related that era. I was therefore immediately drawn to this eye catching book while out shopping recently. It did not disappoint- the pages are packed and I discover something new each time I open it. Both hilarious and intriguing, this kept the whole family (including those who could actually remember, as the blurb says, "reading it under a desk on wednesday mornings")amused for hours on end.

Lovely. Now if someone could just build me a time machine...
on 13 January 2016
Good
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 January 2011
As a teenager in 70s, I read Jackie regularly and to get to re-read it was brilliant.This book takes a selection of articles, which really make you realise how times have changed.'Cathy and Claire' (the problem page) features such dilemmas as 'my mum wont let me keep a stray kitten' or'i'm depressed; please help me find a foreign penpal'. Fashion pages are always line drawings, and the prices can be quite surprisingly high considering we're looking at 35 years ago.(Another article on living in London tells us that a minimum gross salary of £1700 is needed to live in a bedsit !) Also lots of quizzes, beauty, articles on reading handwriting and stuff teenagers just dont do anymore like making their own clothes. It really is a piece of history.
review image review image review image review image review image
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 6 September 2008
It's all here - the fashion drawings in faint pastels of clothes you could never afford in shops miles from where you lived, the quizzes you marked in your head as you didn't want anyone else to find out anything so secret about you, the vox pops with girls named Helen, Sharon, Sandra and Valerie...
And Cathy and Claire of course. Who on earth could mention Jackie without referring to Cathy and Claire? "My mother doesn't trust me".. "My boyfriend gets so jealous".. things don't change much do they? Oh hang on... "I'm 14 and I'm scared of kissing..." - perhaps they do..

When I got my first full-time job aged 18, one of the first things I bought was a Pifco Go-Girl Hairdryer as featured on the Letters Page - I would have loved to have won one!

A wonderful nostalgia trip for any female aged 40-60, a genuine slice of social history.
on 11 January 2006
What the publishers of "Jackie" probably didn't know and certainly don't acknowledge is that while the magazine was definitely aimed at the British teenage girl, teenage guys regularly bought the magazine for the posters. Back in the 70s, glam bands and artists like Sweet, Mud, T-Rex and Slade were just as big with teenage boys as they were with the girls - all be it for different reasons perhaps. Even so, my mates and I had posters from Jackie on our walls alongside soccer and other sporting heros.
I'm sure with all the features in this book that were designed to appeal to girls at the time, this book will bring back fond memories for many. While I recognise that this is what Jackie was essentially all about, I for one would still like to have seen more emphasis in this book on the pop memories that Jackie was equally famous for.
Another comment - I know for certain that David Cassidy's likeness was regularly responsible for raking in the money for the owners of Jackie back in the early 70s. Certainly, he appeared on countless covers, posters and articles inside the magazine. In this book, however, while David Cassidy's picture appears on the inside cover - that's the only reference to him. Not so with Donny Osmond - there's a pin-up picture and several pop items. I find this lack of David Cassidy a strange omission and I'm sure many former Jackie readers who have bought this book and who were or still are Cassidy fans will agree.
In summary, if you were a British teenage girl in love with Donny Osmond in the 1970s - this book will bring back lots of memories. If you were a David Cassidy fan, this book will most likely be a bit disappointing. If, like me, you were a teenage boy who bought Jackie for the pop stars - this book is not for you. And I'm sure the publishers would say they never intended it to be!!