on 8 November 2003
I’ve read a lot of style books – most of them aimed at the American market that somehow falls a little flat when translated to British tastes and sensibilities. Or those geared towards teaching you how to be chic in the French way (a little like wearing ballet slippers and thinking you’ll get mistaken for a ballet dancer). So it was very refreshing to find this total gem on a book. While What Not to Wear is great for telling you exactly that, this book tells you about the little (and big) details that add gloss to your choices. Don’t be put off by its gift-book size because it’s not a read-once thing you digest in one go, but refer to again and again. It’s categorised under Style/Humour which is also misleading, because while it is funny, it is infinitely more stylish. It’s aimed at the early 30s woman who is trying to get rid of the 20s casual style that doesn’t sit well any more, and who definitely doesn’t want to dress older than her age. It tells you what your choices say about you. Similar books sometimes sound suspiciously like a long magazine article, rehashing advice you’ve vaguely heard before and making you feel slightly cheated at having bought the book in the first place. But I found this to be a comforting read – its rules and tips are a relief when you’re bombarded with so many images of what it fantastic, hot, ‘now’ . . . and you don’t quite know how to make sense of any of it. It covers everything regarding appearance, from your shoes up to your makeup and how/what to pack and how to take care of your clothes. I’m not a fashion novice nor a strident fashion follower, and to me, this book hit just the right note. Never patronising, but simply wise, succint and charming. I expect to keep it for a very long time indeed. Highly, highly recommended.
0Comment| 433 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 October 2012
not a book i would recommend it is too basic /simplistic for most people and you can get a lot more info just off the net and from magazines so not worth the cost. i regret buying it.
on 14 February 2006
In general this would be a nice and fun book to receive as a gift and the photos are those lovely black and white nostalgic feeling ones but I found the advice a bit stilted and not really very helpful. I also thought it was aimed at people a little older who really wanted to look 'classic' rather than just stylish(though Ive no doubt the tips are great if that's your aim). Its quite a short book and I think now Ive read it (in about one evening) it will sit on the shelf before I give it away.
on 1 February 2006
The overall ethos of this is to buy expensive clothes that will last and not be a slave to fashion.
On the plus, this is a quick read which does hold your attention till the end, makes some good points and flows well. I like the tips on how to tell whether a garment fits. On the downside, this book is aimed at pearls and twinset types and is very anti-fashion. The author is also a complete snob, very smug and pretentious but don't let that put u off- it's bit like listening to someone's grandmother. I also feel it's over-priced for its content. I'm glad I got it on Ebay.
If you like to play it safe and don't want to stand out in a crowd but still want to look groomed this is for you- its very Jeniffer Aniston/Katie Holmes/Charlotte from Sex and the City.If you're more Kate Moss/Sienna Miller/Carrie Bradshaw then by all means read it but don't listen to the advice till you're about 50!
on 7 June 2010
A little tongue in cheek, a little controversial maybe - comical also and a very good book for keeping in the toilet so you can read a page at a time then put it down. Like life, don't take it too seriously. I loved every page! I bought a copy for my daugher too.....who also likes wearing her Birkenstocks!!
on 11 February 2013
If you are into fashion or have an interest in appearance, you will like this. Dont make this as gospel for your wardrobe just for inspiration. Best of all, Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly on the cover is an icon for fashion not just in the past for the present as well.
on 5 December 2012
A good little pocket book full of tips and advice on style and fashion. It says more about classic styles than anything else !!!
on 5 January 2012
This book was bought as a gift for christmas as it was on someones wish list, a far as I know they are well pleased with it.
on 15 July 2013
As all of the these books say there is a big difference between being stylish as opposed to being fashionable. They also write that you don't need to spend a lot of money but then feature or recommend lots of designer labels. I can't afford things like that so I aim to look stylish on a limited budget. I think I know what suits me and what my good points and not so good points are but I still like to ramp things up and try new mixes of things which is where I find books like these useful for inspiration. Always better to be individual - I see many women who look like clones of each other as they are copying the latest fashion trends.
on 22 April 2011
This book is a must for all womankind.
Every woman should be gifted with this from birth.
Handy hints and terrific tips!