Customer reviews

on 5 September 2015
Another fascinating book to help understand how hypnotherapy work. Scripts of session etc useful
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 November 2015
A bible!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 September 2010
I own a LOT of books by and about Milton Erickson, and this is one of the most beloved on my creaking shelf of Ericksonia. It begins with a brief biography of the man, with details I had not encountered anywhere else. An understanding of Erickson's life is important, to a deeper understanding of his work, which is doubtless why Rossi chose to preface this series of books with a biography. At the end of the book are 19 photographs that take us from Erickson's teens to shortly before his death.

In between, however, is the real food: a series of lecture transcripts in which Erickson speaks to colleagues at various times and places on the subject of using hypnosis to heal ills of the body and mind. His personality and humor, as well as his concern for the wellbeing of his patients, and his remarkable knowledge of his subject shine out of every page.

No matter how much you may think you already know about Ericksonian hypnosis, there's plenty more to be learned between the pages of this book. I found it to be a sparkling introduction to a continuing education in my field.
on 30 March 2005
This book was a revelation! It was a relief to (sort of) hear erickson talk. To know he was a human and not a mythical god helped greatly. This book is aimed at doctors and dentists and other medical practitioners, but Erickson was a medical doctor and psychiatrist, so the people he saw were PATIENTS. Of course, the techniques described will apply to anyone, not just patients. There are lots of fantastic hypnotic techniques to learn, from age regression via confusion, to amnesia via Very sneaky methods. I can't wait for volume 2. Buy this book now!
on 25 July 2004
I actually ordered this book in error; I meant to purchase 'Patterns of...' by Bandler and Grinder but got a lot more out of this than I thought I would.
After a very lengthy, very informative and enlightening and perhaps over the top biog of the great man himself I entered into a feast of seminars delivered to dentists, midwives and obstetricians. As someone interested in the therapeutic applications of Ericksonian techniques I almost put the book down, but I'm damn glad I didn't!!
Packed with simple and effective techniques of attention diversion and in one hilarious example of shock therapy (just wait until the stuffy couple with sexual problems walk into the office!) along with deeper trance techniques it is full of fantastic and easily applied methods to aid clients and yourself.
Examples - I gave up smoking using many of the techniques that Erickson used to dull and remove pain and I now teach these techniques to others with great success. Also, I can now stop my two young children from crying when they fall or hurt themselves by applying the same techniques on my kids that Erickson used on his, and not only that they work on adults too!
A fascinating and enlightening read. Only just misses 5 stars due to its intro and the occasional chapter filled with medical jargon, but for anyone interested in Erickson's methods it's a great read.