on 1 April 2017
This was an interesting experience.. Althoough I knew a lot of the stories by Dickens from Radio and TV productions, I had never actually read any of his books. I found his decriptive passages verbose and his reported speach brilliant. But, since this book started out as a serialised work in a periodical, its length is not surprising but it will take a modern reader some time to adjust to the 19th Century style. However I did enjoy the experience.
on 1 April 2015
I couldn't think of a suitable adjective that has not been over-used in the past to place in the title of this review that would express how good I think this piece of literature is. I.e. Emotional, epic etc.

It's about the journey of a group of individuals centred around little Nell and her Grandfather, who are victims of circumstance. It's about inequality, poverty and the desperation it causes. It has a range of highly interesting characters and settings. To date this is the only Dickens book I have read in entirety but one's impression is that throughout many of his works the author wanted to shine a light on the under-dogs of class inequality inherent in British society.

Some people who haven't read these works will try to claim that they are outdated but they're wrong; this book is as relevant as ever because unfortunately injustice, poverty and inequality still exist in the world today.

I'm glad I read the book instead of watching a film version as I can't imagine that it would ever be as good. The quality of writing is magical.
If you have a taste for good literature and a good attention span then you should read this book but you might want to take your time and savour the writing instead of reading just for the sake of it.
on 25 October 2015
I thought I would read a bit of Dickens for a change and was amazed at how exciting it was; adventure, danger and happiness, the whole gamut of emotions. The characterisation was really good and I could just see these people in my mind's eye. The writing was beautiful and carried me along to the rather sad ending. There was plenty of humour too and I laughed aloud as well as feeling sad in the sad places and cross at the injustice meeted out by the baddies. The pace is fast and furious with very few slow areas; the picture Dickens painted of Victorian England was very revealing. I thoroughly recommend this book and will certainly read more.
on 15 August 2017
yes a fascinating read and nice to re visit the classics and it did the job. I do like the writings of Dickens and this was great.
on 18 August 2017
Charles Dickens is not for everyone-you have to be patient-the story unfolds in a curious and extensive way but that is why this book so magical. Many characters-many places-many situations-much emotion and at times despair-this story about a child and her grandfather pulls the reader into the story -be ready to feel part of the novel before you turn the first page.
on 23 May 2017