on 29 March 2017
I purchased this book for my husband when he was unwell and needed short stories to read. To the best of my knowledge, he enjoyed it.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 August 2013
Rarely do you find a book of short stories why every single one of the stories is an absolute joy to read. Well look no further, this Wordsworth Classic of O. Henry's Short Stories will please the story enthusiast as well as those who, like myself, occasionally like to indulge in the classics.
on 15 February 2015
These stories are now largely forgotten but well worth reading for their gentle humour and irony. This version contains an excellent introduction which helps set them in context.
on 13 April 2017
Just one word to describe this: brilliant!
on 30 June 2016
Good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 February 2018
Great classic short stories...
on 30 November 2013
O Henry is my favourite short story author. I downloaded this book to read to my year 7 form. They love the surprise endings.
on 13 August 2004
I bought this book on impulse and it has only dissapointed me in one respect. I skipped the introduction and jumped straight to the stories. I thought I was being clever when I compared it to Runyon's stories of 4 decades later. When I went back to read the introduction, the comparison had made there already. In all other respects I cannot fault the book.
The stories are very short. They are generally gentle, charming stories by someone who obviously had a great sympathy for the people he was describing.
I highly recommend it to anyone.
on 21 December 2013
O. Henry's writing was intended for adult audiences, but because the stories were published in the newspaper they are quite suitable for middle-school readers. I bought this for my grand-children.
on 15 December 2015
Good condition
A brilliant collection of impressive and interesting stories.