on 18 March 2017
This is a curious story for its brutal honesty in the time it was written. The descriptions of unpleasant situations for a governess, and the lack of satisfactory arcs in the narrative for those unpleasant children seems more real life than fiction - for me personally I was let down by the pious nature of Agnes who was a little too judgey for my liking and by the simplicity of her romantic devotion. But despite these faults this is Bronte calibre writing and therefore has more merit than most.
on 5 March 2017
I really enjoyed this book. Still think it so sad that Anne gets so often forgotten amidst the accolade for her two sisters. All quite modern women in some respects who have something to say to us today.
on 30 March 2017
A little dull as far as the story went. Rather ordinary really. Little of the tension or excitement that Charlotte and Emily put in theirs (though I don't like Emily's work. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall is much better.
on 22 August 2017
Enjoyable study into English county life in the mid - nineteenth century. Easy reading with no drama. Very involving. Provides an interesting insight into Anne Bronte's theology, presumably learnt from her father.
on 5 March 2017
This is the third Bronte book I 've read and enjoyed the minute
details of a governess` life.
Again I've found Anne`s observations of human behaviour and character a surprising treat.
on 28 March 2017
A rather typical Victorian morality tale, albeit giving considerable attention to female selfhood and independence. We can't all be Jane Eyres, but there is nevertheless a lack of intensity to the writing, which renders it little more than a pleasant read. It was actually rather better as a radio dramatisation (R4).
on 9 November 2017
Very enjoyable read - especially as it was a free book! Thanks Amazon 😁. Interesting history too.😐 Look forward to more of these free classical books.
on 3 August 2017
The Bronte books are all good, but this is a little more pedestrian than the Tenant of Wildfell Hall.
on 3 May 2017
I recently read 'The Tenant of Wildfell Hall' and so enjoyed it that I decided to read 'Agnes Grey' by the same author. I was not disappointed. Now I shall read or re-read the books by her sisters. My target is to read them all by the end of the year.
on 1 October 2017
A charming novel which was very easy to read. I had recently visited Haworth and explored bronte country, so reading this and re reading wuthering heights was much more meaningful and pleasurable for me, as I walked in the sisters steps and experienced the wind, the rain and the wild beauty of their environment.