on 23 March 2017
GOOD
on 31 December 2016
I liked it enough to pass it on to my discerning brother.
on 9 April 2017
Fantastic quality just like brand new, I am very happy
on 28 December 2016
Book as described, delivery before expected.
on 14 January 2008
After reading the other reviews, I was somewhat disappointed by this book. Firstly, a ridiculous amount of space is taken up by introductory notes of no interest whatsoever,and by explanatory notes for each chapter at the end, leading to the actual "diary" occupying probably no more than 3/4 of the thickness of the book.

As for the diary itself, yes it's a charming and amusing tale...but that's about all I can say for it; "laugh out loud" it certainly isn't. Any comparison with the truly hilarious "Three men in a boat" is frankly ludicrous.

I'm glad I read it, but that's all...read it once, then straight to the Oxfam shop.
on 15 January 2008
I honestly never knoew that such an old book could be so hilarious! It's written in such a brilliant way that you can "see" it all happening - it very vivid. I think they should do a film of this! One of the best books I have read for a long time!
on 7 February 2013
This is a great book, and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

Just don't buy this edition. The cover is a cheap, blurry facsimile of a traditional cover, and the text itself might as well have been printed on a home printer. It is currently sitting on my desk covered up by other books, I'm so embarrassed to be seen with something so shoddy! Amazon published this edition themselves, and it shows how far they have to go before they actually understand the pleasure of a printed book. I really wish I'd checked the 'look inside' a little more carefully before ordering.
55 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 August 2015
I lost interest very early on. Is it a classic? Maybe I missed the point and it made the subject live up to it's name?
on 29 July 2010
Charles Pooter is a successful late Victorian clerk living in a well appointed town house in (then) fashionable Holloway. Charles has delusions of literary grandeur and he believes his diary to be a work of great literary significance. However, the joke is on Mr Pooter as his diary is merely a list of slights and petty grievances.

The book must have been quite subversive when people first read it. After all, wasn't the man meant to be the head of the household in the Victorian scheme of things, his word law? Pooters' diary can be read as merely a long list of things that he fails to control: his wayward son, Lupin. His wife, Carrie (who actually gets some of the best jokes), his domestic staff and his professional life. Pooter stands on his dignity and ends up falling flat on his face.

Pooter has become something of an archetype is British popular culture-you can glimpse him in later comic figures such as Anthony Hancock, Captain Mainwaring and Basil Fawlty. George and Weedon Grossmith have made an enduring fiction out of the stuff of life that still resonates today.
on 15 November 2016
I probably missed something here according to the reviews but I found this totally boring not at all funny and a waste of good reading time.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse